new pond advice please!

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
madmum
Legendary Laner

new pond advice please!

Post by madmum »

Having discussed ,and dismissed , :oops: the idea of getting some ducks to add to our menagerie!!!We have decided to make a pond in my daughters part of the garden,which is mainly laid to paving and would be where we would put ducks if we got them at a later date.My mother has a very small fairly shallow pond at the opposite end of the garden which is very overgrown but is the site of much frog activity at the moment.We would use a preformed liner so that if we did later get ducks they would not destroy the lining,but if we transported some weed and frogspawn from the old pond would the froglets then come back to where they were hatched or where they were "created "?
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: new pond advice please!

Post by Grannyof4 »

You should NOT move frog spawn.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

The reason for not moving frogspawn is to prevent the spread of Chytrid disease. This is a fungas disease which infects the skin of amphibians.
As you are moving it to an area which is part of the same metapopulation you are ok . Make sure you use clean gloves to handle as both nets and the salts in your skin are harmful to frogspawn and young amphibians.. Please do not remove frogspawn from the wild as Chytrid disease is threatening our native populations..but any extensions of existing garden populations can only be a good thing. )t'
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

As i say the spawn will only be moved from one pond in the same garden to another to allow more room for the frogs so that we do not harm them when spring cleaning the old pond.there would be plenty of weeds and water from the old pond to establish an ecosystem in the new pond ,they would not be moved by hand but using a bucket and as gently as possible.Thanks for the heads up on Chytrid i did not think it would be a problem in such a small area but will take it on board )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Increasing the population of your garden frogs and newts is a positive thing to do.. >gl<
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Yes it is a good thing to do but moving also involves a very high fatality rate.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Mmmmm .I think the chickens ,dogs and cat add to the mortality rate too!!! )j; I think we will get the pond sorted and see what happens when its done. )t'
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Grannyof4 wrote:Yes it is a good thing to do but moving also involves a very high fatality rate.

Providing new habitat within your garden will give far higher survival rates than the alternative..having to cross a road to breed..
I belong to an organisation of volunteers and we are well on our way to saving 40000 frogs from being killed on the roads http://www.froglife.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Madmum you can only do whats best for you at the time, lets hope the frogs are ok, as thanks to jannie i have learnt alot from this post )t'
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
manda

Post by manda »

Interesting - I'd never heard of Chytrid.will have to go and have a google :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny