Moving Lillies

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
perchy

Moving Lillies

Post by perchy »

The chickens and I have been doing general maintenance in the garden today, I have to say they didn't help much :-D I have a large half barrel full of lilies that have now died back, whilst tidying the shed I found a couple of galvanised buckets, quite large, could I move the lilies to the buckets now? as I would like to plant the barrel with daffs and tulips, if so how would I (Mr Perchy) put holes in it, would drilling be best?
p.penn

Re: Moving Lillies

Post by p.penn »

No no no no no. Don't hurt the buckets - that would be bucket cruelty!!!!

Can't you find ones with holes already in them?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

If you don't mind the holes not being neat then the easiest & quickest way is a six inch nail and give it a good whack with a hammer and it will make a hole in no time.
When you eventually take the lillies out you could then recycle the bucket into a handy garden shower.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
perchy

Post by perchy »

p.penn wrote:No no no no no. Don't hurt the buckets - that would be bucket cruelty!!!!

Can't you find ones with holes already in them?

Am sorry but have to have drainage, if I had old ones with holes in I would use them dear liza {hug&kiss}
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Drilling is how I would do it. Unless you have an ice pick lying round then just bash the bottom of your buckets with it. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
perchy

Post by perchy »

AL37 wrote:Drilling is how I would do it. Unless you have an ice pick lying round then just bash the bottom of your buckets with it. )t'

Not sure about an ice pick, but we have a drill )t' Thanks for the advice, Mr Perchy gone to work so will tell him in the morning )t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

}hairout{ }hairout{ }hairout{ Noooooooooooooooooooo
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
perchy

Post by perchy »

p.penn wrote:}hairout{ }hairout{ }hairout{ Noooooooooooooooooooo

I have had some wine so I may not remember :?
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Just pot them up in compost with drainage. You may find some baby bulbs on the side of the Lily, these can be removed and planted in the same pot. You won't get flowers off these for some time. Lilies like peony's are very temperamental and don't like being moved so you may not get a flower the first time after being moved.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Maggie1 wrote:Just pot them up in compost with drainage. You may find some baby bulbs on the side of the Lily, these can be removed and planted in the same pot. You won't get flowers off these for some time. Lilies like peony's are very temperamental and don't like being moved so you may not get a flower the first time after being moved.

Have had a look tonight and they are packed solid in the barrell, they were beautiul in the summer so have decided to leave them and buy another barrell for the daffs and tulips so must get my green fingers out or will be too late :?
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

If they are packed solid thats the best for them as that makes them bloom better.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Maggie1 wrote:If they are packed solid thats the best for them as that makes them bloom better.

I have to say they were beautiful this summer, although they started off as orange and this year which is the second year they were cream +confused+ could it be the compost?
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

They might be going back to their original colour either that or bleached with all that sun you've had.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Maggie1 wrote:They might be going back to their original colour either that or bleached with all that sun you've had.

More than likely going back to the original colour {rofwl}