Rock dust

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
TEZ PAZ
Longlasting Laner

Rock dust

Post by TEZ PAZ »

Hi, has anyone used rock dust on their allotment? how much do you use? Is it any good? .sn<
3 kids, one rescue cat, 3 rescue hens and one fantastic husband
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Rock dust

Post by lancashire lass »

I don't use it but I see the benefits on poor soils in the long term, especially if the soil is sandy - all plants need small traces of minerals for good health such as magnesium, iron and calcium, and these are released slowly unlike quick fix fertilisers which leach out quite readily during wet weather. Rock dust won't have nitrogen so soil will still need the usual sources eg compost and manure to be dug in for growth, so quantity wise I see no limiting factor (that is, I don't think you could put too much in to have any adverse effect) but I suppose that comes down to how much it costs and how much you get.

Personally I don't think it is essential and there are other sources where minerals can be dug into the soil but if cheap and readily available, then go for it )t'
TEZ PAZ
Longlasting Laner

Re: Rock dust

Post by TEZ PAZ »

Thanks Lancashire Lass. I have got the rock dust free. My allotment got some donated. I just dont want to use too much and waste it, i also dont want to be too frugal and not put enough on so it is useless )t'
3 kids, one rescue cat, 3 rescue hens and one fantastic husband