wallflowers

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
mardatha
Lively Laner

wallflowers

Post by mardatha »

Can you buy wallflowers as plants from the garden centre and just whack them in the ground or is it more complicated than that ? I've always wanted them but every time I asked it was "the wrong time of year".... >coc<
perchy

Re: wallflowers

Post by perchy »

When they are ready in the garden centres and markets I would assume they are ready for planting, they remind me of my childhood, they use to be all over the place, especially in parks etc, i like them )t' they are usually wrapped in newspaper when bought off the markets.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

If you buy them bare root the time to plant is the autumn when you put in your bulbs, tulips and daffs. I expect you can find pot grown ones in garden centres now and you can just plant them now. They are very hardy.
If you want to be frugal buy the seed and sow outdoors in June in a small patch and transplant out to their final flowering space in the autumn.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
mardatha
Lively Laner

Post by mardatha »

Oh goody, if the GC have them now then I'll whine at the husband to take me , thanks )t' I dont live near any so can't see what they have currently for sale. So just ask whenever I am in, and it's always the wrong time of year. We had them in the garden when I was wee and I loved them. :-D
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Once you've got them you may never need to buy them again. They seed themselves (you get a variety of colours). And though the gardening books say pull the plants out every year start again, you can leave them in - they do get a bit woody though.
Throw some seed heads in the hedge bottom and they'll clamber up and pop out on the sunny side to flower.
They smell good too.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I grew mine from seed last May which I usually do. By the time Sep/Oct comes when you plant bulbs you plant them out at the same time.
Sadly with that awful snow and filthy weather its knocked mine for 6. I've never had such a poor show. I just love the smell especially in the evenings as somebody said it reminds me of childhood. I was quite a poorly child and was a regular to the doctors. His driveway was covered in them.
You might catch lucky in the garden centre but they will more than likely charge you an arm and a leg