Watch the first Show + Comment

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
newto
Longlasting Laner

Re: Watch the first Show + Comment

Post by newto »

)t'

Finally have managed to watch it all ( you tube). kept getting halfway. and then my stupid puter would freeze....argh

Will def watch again. really enjoyable, really " ordinary", is the best way I can describe it!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Casnz10 wrote:My internets too slow to watch it unfortunately }hairout{ I'd like to catch it on sky but can't find the channel

It's the Information Channel on Sky 166 (not 116) I think the next one is on Sunday 20th March at 9.00am

Richard wrote:I always put newspaper at the bottom of the hole in which I'm planting the Runner Beans in, helps to hold the moister. Reckon cardboard could do the same?

)t'

Lining some cardboard in a trench is fine but don't put too much as it could rob nitrogen out of the soil. Adding kitchen waste to a runner bean trench helps to increase the soil fertility, so be aware of using too much "brown" compost (that means paper, cardboard etc)

I've just remembered one down factor about using toilet rolls and your post Richard about water retention reminded me - if anyone does use them (or peat pots), when planting the whole thing in the soil, if the top part is slightly proud of the soil, it'll act like a wick - the sun/wind will dry the top bit and it will draw moisture out of the soil towards the surface, leaving the plant roots/compost bone dry. By the time I come to plant out my parsnip seedlings (I much prefer to start them off at home rather than sow in situ), the cardboard is already a bit soggy/flimsy so I just trim off the top bit with my fingers as I'm planting them out, and gently tease the surrounding soil up to the original level.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Thanks Lassie

)t' )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome