Watch the first Show + Comment

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
TEZ PAZ
Longlasting Laner

Re: Watch the first Show + Comment

Post by TEZ PAZ »

oh i forgot to say the programme was fab and looks like it is going to continue to be fab too. yehy >mmm< i love nature and gardening programmes, especially ones with other peoples points of view and the results of their trials and errors. :-D
3 kids, one rescue cat, 3 rescue hens and one fantastic husband
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Annie - did you cut the bottom out of your eggs boxes before planting the onions?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

p.penn wrote:Annie - did you cut the bottom out of your eggs boxes before planting the onions?

No I didn't Helen it wasn't specific about what to do and I thought they might be a bit shallow if I cut any off them - but I don't know if I am right or wrong. I did figure that the bottoms could be picked off later if necessary - I just didn't think I would ever get enough cardboard rolls to use. Last year I put loo rolls and cut in half kitchen roll tubes over the leeks as they are supposed to keep the leeks blanched , it worked to a degree, but I was collecting the bloomin things for weeks .

PS I did say in my first post on this thread that I had enjoyed all other aspects of the programme by the way, just not too sure about the chicken section.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Try a bit of plastic downpipe for your leeks - my friend does that. Perhaps you could get some offcuts from freecycle. :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
manda

Post by manda »

bluebell wrote:Regarding the young man with the poultry - he didn't say anything wrong - kitchen waste that DEFRA kick up a fuss about is meat orientated, using meat scraps, giving them something that has already been in the food chain, cannot see the problem in giving vegetable scraps as shown in the video. Loved the cameo by his black cat! )t'

I don't think the initial point by A & A was saying what he said was wrong just asking whether the scraps should have been cooked first and I hope in my response I didn't suggest I thought he was wrong because I don't - I said to A & A that you could make as easy or complicated as you want.

I think A & A's main point was regarding it being put over that chickens are easy...they can be.... but here we know all too well they can be anything but too.
We all know how many animals end up in rescue centres because they were in the "too hard basket" - saying they are easy doesn't cover going out in the dark/mud /snow /rain and feeding them/mucking them out etc....
For most of us that's everyday life and we do it willingly (well we do it )grin2( ) but for others that would be purgatory. How many of us have friends who think we are stark staring bonkers for living how we live and they would consider it as anything but easy?
There may be people who have no idea about chickens and quite fancy the idea of keeping them this 'could' (I'm not saying will) have given a false impression of what's involved.
I don't think it's a criticism of the presenter personally, I think he had a lovely way about him and was easy to listen to but we all know there are those who don't think things through even when the pitfalls are put to them... I think I agree with A & A on this point, in that I think the intro to keeping chickens could have been constructed differently.

I have already said I thought it was a great program and I look forward to seeing more.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Manda )t'
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
manda

Post by manda »

Glad I got it right!! :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
TEZ PAZ
Longlasting Laner

Post by TEZ PAZ »

Mmmmmm the bread was delicious and allowed me to use up some 'slightly sprouting' potatoes instead of throwing them out )t'
3 kids, one rescue cat, 3 rescue hens and one fantastic husband
perchy

Post by perchy »

TEZ PAZ wrote:Mmmmmm the bread was delicious and allowed me to use up some 'slightly sprouting' potatoes instead of throwing them out )t'

That's brilliant, yummy and frugal, )t'

Am going to try it at the weekend
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Alex. & Annie wrote:
p.penn wrote:Annie - did you cut the bottom out of your eggs boxes before planting the onions?

No I didn't Helen it wasn't specific about what to do and I thought they might be a bit shallow if I cut any off them - but I don't know if I am right or wrong. I did figure that the bottoms could be picked off later if necessary - I just didn't think I would ever get enough cardboard rolls to use.

It should be fine and no need to cut the bottoms off egg boxes, if anything it'll hold the compost better, and it's only for a short time to start the sets off a little earlier compared to planting them outside directly into the soil. The cardboard will naturally rot in the soil after planting. Depending on the weather (if it's cold & wet, I'll hold off for a week or two more), but I'll be planting my onion sets outside directly at the end of March. Personally I see no reason to start them off early and when growing in large quantities (I try to grow enough to keep me going for months), it is a lot of unnecessary extra work but that's my opinion.

PS I collect toilet rolls all year round and have a big green bag in which I pop them. They come in very useful when sowing parsnip seeds, as well as beetroot and basically anything else - the whole thing gets planted out with minimal disruption to the roots, and best of all, they are free and less stuff to put in the recycle bin.

TEZ PAZ wrote:Mmmmmm the bread was delicious and allowed me to use up some 'slightly sprouting' potatoes instead of throwing them out )t'

thanks for letting us know, now all the more reason to make some )t' I too have potatoes in store that are going past their best
Casnz10
Longlasting Laner

Post by Casnz10 »

I can't find the horticultural channel, 116 isnt it on sky. Am I doing something wrong?
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

hi I just clicked on the link at the start of this thread and watched on my pc
Casnz10
Longlasting Laner

Post by Casnz10 »

My internets too slow to watch it unfortunately }hairout{ I'd like to catch it on sky but can't find the channel
Casnz10
Longlasting Laner

Post by Casnz10 »

I managed to watch it in the end, there were some good tips, wish I'd have seen it before I planted my onions but they're staying where they are. A friend uses newspaper rolled into a tube for frugal plant pots but like the idea of using loo roll holders.
The guy with the chickens, seemed like he didn't feed them pellets over winter, never heard that before, and I thought giving uncoiled potato peelings was a no no.

I'll definately watch it again, if I can find the channel that is )t'
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I always put newspaper at the bottom of the hole in which I'm planting the Runner Beans in, helps to hold the moister. Reckon cardboard could do the same?

)t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome