Ladybirds

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
lilac lill
Lively Laner

Ladybirds

Post by lilac lill »

Hello all,

Had a day off work today and as it's such a glorious one, decided to tackle the garden beds.

I've been amazed at the amount of Ladybirds there are in my garden.! Over 20 in one border alone :shock:

Not that I'm complaining, but is this just a freak year for them, as I've never seen them in such numbers before, or has it anything to do with the fact the beds didn't get 'cleaned up' for winter, as I was too busy with my first year on the allotment?

Hope it's the latter... good excuse not to tidy up. :-D

Debbie x
Owner of a Silver/Pearl Egg Skelter.
Spud the dog,Bernard and Dave the rabbits, and 9 girls.. Ethel, Clara, Clarice, Strangeways, Muppet, Norma, Smudger, Gladys and Houdini. RIP Eveline x RIP my beautiful dog Doris. X

Another Sunny Clucker Trucker in the waiting
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Ladybirds

Post by lancashire lass »

lilac lill wrote:or has it anything to do with the fact the beds didn't get 'cleaned up' for winter, as I was too busy with my first year on the allotment?

The start of a beautiful relationship - ladybirds don't like tidy gardens. Better still, when the aphids start to multiply in spring, you'll already have resident ladybirds to deal with them )t'
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Seeing as our garden isn't what it was, that explains why I've seen a few ladybugs too! :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
lilac lill
Lively Laner

Post by lilac lill »

)t' Fantastic news LL... I now have a 'reason' not to tidy up as much ( not that I needed much of an excuse). I'm hoping they will tackle one of my shrubs which is decimated by black fly each year. Fingers crossed >fi<

Debbie x
Owner of a Silver/Pearl Egg Skelter.
Spud the dog,Bernard and Dave the rabbits, and 9 girls.. Ethel, Clara, Clarice, Strangeways, Muppet, Norma, Smudger, Gladys and Houdini. RIP Eveline x RIP my beautiful dog Doris. X

Another Sunny Clucker Trucker in the waiting
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Have just come back from our allotment and commented to my hubby how many ladybirds are about so early. He says that he always notices a lot, which now I know that they like untidyness I can understand why.
Saying that, it now looks beautiful with everything shipshape.

June
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

We have lots of ladybirds here this year - far more than I ever remember seeing when tidying the garden before.