Flowers for drying

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Flowers for drying

Post by albertajune »

We have two small allotments, one of which we let my old neighbour (90) work part of. He is now looking after his wife who had a stroke just before Xmas and can't do the allotment any more, becauses of caring for her.
I thought that I would work the area instead, growing flowers for cutting and also for drying. Does anyone have any recomendations for flowers to dry, besides the usual statice? I just want the hanging method of drying, not silicone in the microwave.

I'd be very glad of any suggestions

June
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Flowers for drying

Post by Annie »

Hi ,I have only grown Statice - I love the strong purple colour, have you thought about Honesty and what about lavender and rosemary for fragrance ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Alex. & Annie wrote:Hi ,I have only grown Statice - I love the strong purple colour, have you thought about Honesty and what about lavender and rosemary for fragrance ?

Hadn't thought about Honesty, but yes a good filler. Have used lavender to make pomanders for the cupboards and wardrobes but they are inclined to drop their flowers when just displayed.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I meant to tell you earlier - how about Helichrysum flowers? They come in reds, oranges, yellow, cream, white, mixed - ever so easy to grow from seed, harvest the heads (with a bit of green stem) when just starting to open rather than full open, then get some florists wire and thread it in the green stem and leave the flower to dry on the wire which you can decorate with green tape/ribbon to smarten it up and use like other floral arrangements. They last forever and unfortunately become dust collectors :oops:

You don't need to get them from this supplier, I'm sure any garden centre will sell them but to show you which ones I mean: http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/seeds-p ... size-mixed
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Chenese lanterns make lovely dried flowers too. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Cornflowers do well - the old tall kind are easiest.
Ornamental grasses - pick before they get too mature or they shed.
Irish bells, Molucella laevis - green flowers.
Catanache caerulea
Ornamental gourds- pick when ripe and skins are hard. they can be varnished if you like.

All annuals you should find in seed catalogues.

For fresh cut flowers gladioli and dahlias are good value.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thanks for all the ideas. As I read down I'm now saying "of course, why didn't I think of that'. Must say, a few I don't know.
As for getting dusty, I have done them before and you can buy an aerosol spray to use accasionally, which dusts and brings back the colour. Must look at the seed catalogues recomended. )t'