Programme 2 - Sun 20th. March Discussion

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Programme 2 - Sun 20th. March Discussion

Post by Richard »

The next show will be at 9am this coming Sunday 20th. March

To watch it live go to......

Information TV (Sky Channel 166 or Freesat Channel 402)

For those without Freesat or Sky, as soon as the show is placed on YouTube, it will be available on the Channel Horticulturaltv website and right here in the Down the Lane Forum.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Richard

Re: Programme 2 - Sun 20th. March

Post by Richard »

Hi,

Programme 2 can now be watched here on Forum in the sticky at top of this section.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Re: Programme 2 - Sun 20th. March Discussion

Post by Knikitta »

I have just watched the 2nd episode, and I have to say I am thoroughly enjoying it! Even if some of the presenters sometimes look absolutely terrified about being on TV.

No need really, I have been there and done it for over a year and hopefully they will all start to relax soon. Grand job you are all doing though! )t'

I wanted to ask about greenhouses. Some of us do not have allotments or greenhouses and melons is something I would like to perhaps try... can they be started in propagators and then outside, or could I even get them a 'tomato greenhouse' or would that be too small?
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
thehortchannel.tv
Learner Laner

Post by thehortchannel.tv »

As you saw, Claire is doing melons in her greenhouse. Sean will be doing melons outdoors but it's too cold yet. Keep watching!!!
Richard

Post by Richard »

I enjoyed the Show, I just hope that poor Claire gets a chance of filming without the rain one day soon!
Good tip about putting the Melon seeds 'arrow down'. Does that apply to other similar seeds?

Thanks again,

Richard )t'
perchy

Post by perchy »

I enjoyed it too )t'
I actually do that with my courgette and squash seeds )t'
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks Perch.

The reason I asked is that I'm sure I read the back of a seed packet once saying to bury them flat, but forget what it was! It would have been courgettes or squash I know I only seem to get about 70% germination from those seeds, maybe that's the reason.

I will certainly do the arrow head down method.

Is there a right way for Sunflower seeds I wonder?

Richard
perchy

Post by perchy »

I don't think it matters with sunflower seeds, we have them for the garden birds and the ones that get dropped grow all over the place )t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

This edition seemed to go more quickly so I must have been enjoying it. I like the girl in the greenhouse and the guy making the meat loaf ,best bits for me this time. Still trying to work out the daylight hours thing and its bearing on Scotland. The allotment site was huge, I applaud the committee ( but smiled a bit at the digging techniques on show in the background) for their hard work. It was sensible to show the different conditions needed for starting the hardy annuals )t' Sorry but I still don't think the chicken item is getting it right . Its too much like putting the cart before the horse , I dont mind repeating that imo this item should have started from scratch with housing being the 1st item. 7/10
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Hilly Bean
Lively Laner

Post by Hilly Bean »

I loved the little film and song at the end! It must be fun making films like that. I see they are looking for people to send in allotment films, wonder if I could film my brother on his...and his very posh chickens...fat chance I feel!
Richard

Post by Richard »

You go for it hilly, you never know!

Richard )t'
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Alex. & Annie wrote:( but smiled a bit at the digging techniques on show in the background)

LOL - at least I wasn't the only one to notice

Knikitta wrote:I wanted to ask about greenhouses. Some of us do not have allotments or greenhouses and melons is something I would like to perhaps try... can they be started in propagators and then outside, or could I even get them a 'tomato greenhouse' or would that be too small?

The problem with "mini greenhouses" is that temperatures can soar very quickly in sunny weather and temperatures drop rapdily at night especially this time of year when the sun's strength is deceptively warm (greenhouses are larger so temperature fluctuations are not so great and heat loss at night is slower if you understand what I mean) - personally I think they would be better started off indoors but don't be in too great a hurry to put outside until risk of frost is low ... and that'll probably be end of May with some protection (maybe a cold frame or cloche - these are not that expensive or you could try making your own)
manda

Post by manda »

I enjoyed the programme...it's lovely seeing the allotments starting from scratch...I hope that they will go back to them and catch up with progress in the future.

I'm afraid I agree with A & A re the chicken section it's not making much sense would have been better to start at the beginning and move forward...the guy is going through other stuff before he's explained about setting up ...housing and care etc first. That's a bit ar&e about face in my opinion.

BUT ...I really enjoyed the show...I'm glad I can get it here :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

I have a home made Cold frame which is basically timber made in a rectangle, and a double glazed window on top!

Not great, but it does the job.
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Knickitta we are having new windows in the late spring and I am keeping mine for just this purpose )t'

The tip I pinched off the programme this week was for forcing rhubarb so this morning I upended an old kitchen bin , covered it in a black poly bag (the bin was light blue and a bit see through) weighted it down with wood and stand back and wait.
This has to work as I have a bet on with Steve the Gas that I won't have rhubarb in3 - 4 weeks
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful