Ponds

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
rosietbear
Learner Laner

Ponds

Post by rosietbear »

Hello

I hope I am posting in the right place as i am new to this site, but saw oither posts on the same subject also on this area!

Anyway..

We have 2 ponds at home, both are small, with each being no bigger than a meter by half a meter wide. We inherited both as moved into our house nearly 2 years ago. In one we have 2 fish, well there were 2 could be only 1 now as a result of the winter, but you can't see them as they hide! Both ponds are next to each other with only about 30cm's between the two. The non fish pond has lots of frog spawn in it. Both always have frogs around the edge and in the pond, at last count we had over 15.

We want to join the two ponds together, but as they are both moulded plastic this means buying a complete new pond, and will need a new pump. I know fish are predators to frogs, so would aim to make the new pond as frog and tadpole friendly as possible, with lots of places to hide, rocks and shallow bits. But are we ok to move them from one environment to another without damaging the spawn. My thought was just to tip the contents of the old pond into the new pond, are we ok to do this? The new pond would be in the same site as the two current ponds.

Any advice welcome before I go out spending!

Thanks
Cheryl
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Ponds

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Hello Cheryl,
Shouldn't be a problem moving the frogspawn, some might not make it but as there are so many a good proportion will still survive. My dad always used to dredge it up in a bucket and move it to the other pond without any problems.
Could you maybe get a pond liner, hack out a channel between the ponds and cut back the sides of the two existing ponds so they could join, cover any sharp edges and put the liner in and refill. Might work out cheaper than buying a new precast pond and providing the edges aren't jagged, where it meets the liner, would work well.
By the way greetings and welcome to The Lane.
Dom & Ali
Ali Woks My World
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Re: Ponds

Post by secret squirrel »

Hi Cheryl, welcome to the Lane. What fish have you got in your pond, by the way? {hug}
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.