Bind weed !

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Dee
Longlasting Laner

Bind weed !

Post by Dee »

How on earth to i get rid of bind weed ?
Its coming up through the lawn now ! im pulling it up but to no avail.
Have a dog and cat plus hens so have to careful with anything i use to get rid of the stuff yike*
Dee
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Bind weed !

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Only way I found was with glyphosate which you spray/paint on the leaves and it goes down to the roots and kills the whole plant. Could you treat the weed and cover the area with some sort of frame to keep the animals off for a few days until it does it's job?
Dom
Ali Woks My World
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

A real problem when in the lawn. When growing in the borders the best way really is the all time consuming way of digging it out. It travels a long way via underground roots. I get it coming in my garden from the next door one and as soon as I see a bit as I am doing now, it just has to come out to keep on top of it. A real nuisance weed. }hairout{
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If it's a left handed bindweed, plant a right handed honeysuckle near it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I have got the bloomin stuff in the front garden from a cutting someone gave me of a plant now gone but the bindweed persists }hairout{ . I would move house but think the stuff would probably follow me - I just dig up as much as I can as often as I can but never rid the garden of it
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Mo wrote:If it's a left handed bindweed, plant a right handed honeysuckle near it.

I don't understand?

I hate bindweed, it completely engulfs (possibly a made up word) our garden. It is just starting to poke through now, evil, kill it, burn it, call in the exorcist
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

The problem with Bindweed is, if you break some off it comes up double. Like Cooch grass a little bit that breaks off when your pulling it up. The only thing I found was Tumbleweed for brush and trees. Its really strong and that should take it back to the roots
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Mrs B wrote:
Mo wrote:If it's a left handed bindweed, plant a right handed honeysuckle near it.

I don't understand?

You are showing your youth (surely it can't be that I'm showing my age!). It's a Flanders and Swan song
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

You are showing your youth (surely it can't be that I'm showing my age!). It's a Flanders and Swan song[/quote]

Sorry never heard of them, more of a Foo Fighters and Muse woman I'm afraid. Good job I didn't rush to the garden centre, I would look a right noob asking for a right handed plant ... believe me it is the sort of thing I do.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Mrs B wrote: more of a Foo Fighters and Muse woman .

Well that makes us quits, I've not heard of those.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

MrB currently treating out bindweed with glycowhatsit. He says the trick is to pop an open ended pop bottle over the weed, then spray with poison which stops drifts to other plants.

Very time consuming but easier than trying to dig it up as we have found that is nigh impossible without breaking the root and spreading the stuff even further.

I tend top keep the chucks away from the area until the weed has started to wilt but to be honest they have never gone near the bind weed.