Who's been at my Dianthus??

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Who's been at my Dianthus??

Post by Benny&Co »

+confused+

I planted some Dianthus that I'd got in Asda a few weeks ago.

The other week it looked like something or someone had taken a whole plant out of one of the tubs, but on closer inspection it'd been buried.

Then this morning we noticed this:

Maybe a cat's been at it perhaps??

Think I'll move the tubs round the back of the house - we don't get any cats there at all.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Re: Who's been at my Dianthus??

Post by secret squirrel »

From personal experience that looks like `cat cat` attack. Could you make it into a hanging basket? or put pea sticks over the top so they cant get on it?
Very frustrating isnt it? {hug} I planted cat mint in a corner of my garden at the back of a bed to encourage the cats to go to that area. To some extent, it works.
lorna {hug}
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Had this problem with my tub by the front door - was definitely neighbour's cat.
Tried sprinkling pepper and all sorts. Keeping it wet helped a bit, but in the end resorted to spikey pyracantha prunings wedged on the surface, hidden a bit under the plants.
A bit drastic maybe, but got tired of spending out on plants and having them trashed.
Cat got the message after that and found somewhere else to crap. )t'
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Yes it looks like a cat has found a new loo. Have you found any evidence of poo. If its wee it usually burns the plant. I had this last year very similar and thought it was cats (feral) until I actually found the crows uprooting the plants to get to the bulbs I'd planted earlier. Are you in a town if so could it be a fox.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks everyone )t'

Well since posting my picture and having been out with Benny, we've just returned and found more digging has taken place.

This time 'it' has dug up one of the plants and left on the drive {warn}

Going to move the tubs round the back of the house - I haven't seen a cat there since we got our Benny - and they used to pay us visits!

As for what could be doing it..... we do have lots of birds/pigeons/crows etc around here. There could well be Mr Fox, but haven't ever seen in three and a half years.

Haven't noticed any 'poop' in there, but will let you know when I've moved the tubs )t'
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

It does sound like crows as thats exactly what happened to my tubs. I had winter flowering pansies all over the path. Some had had their roots taken off. I replaced it all and swept after and found exactly the same thing next morning. Thats when I caught them doing it. I wouldn't have believed it unless I'd seen them raking through the tubs with my own eyes. I presume they ate my bulbs and used the roots to line their nests
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

My first thought was cat, but you would have found poo. We do have a simlar thing happen on our allottment with birds. When we plant things like shallots, we find them pulled up and just left on the ground. Perhaps if it keeps happening, even after moving them, you could put a bit of net over them until established. Once the roots get a hold, they won't just pull up.
What a b.... nuisance, }hairout{
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks Maggie and June )t'

I moved them round the back, replanted the plant that'd been uprooted and let's see.

I didn't see any 'poop', so like you say, wonder if it was a crow/bird?
Bev x

lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Good luck Bev..it's so annoying when that happens! }hairout{
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Yeah I know, pesky little blighters! )de: {rofwl}
Bev x