Fruit and veg in shady garden1

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
cluckymama
Lively Laner

Fruit and veg in shady garden1

Post by cluckymama »

Hi, unfortunatly my back garden is small and north facing so only gets sun till about three or four (if im lucky) in the afternoon before its covered in shade! Does anyone know of any fruit or veg that would still grow nicely in these conditions?
Thanks Emilie x
Emilie x
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Fruit and veg in shady garden1

Post by Annie »

Hi , if the sun is on the garden for most of the day until mid afternoon thats not too bad imo - most of us have to chase it round our gardens. Gooseberries are pretty tolerant and if your space is tight try strawbs and tomatoes (tumbling) in hanging baskets. Salad stuff in containers could be moved to catch the sun I guess. Spuds would probably be ok . I f its your 1st time just have a go with some basic stuff , I am a great one for container growing , you wont get as much as planted in row in the ground but you get a taster .
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
cluckymama
Lively Laner

Post by cluckymama »

Thanks, good advice! i was thinking about potatos and salad so ill give them a go! :-D
Emilie x
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Don't forget hanging baskets are good for some veggies too, we have an upside down tube thing for growing toms in, we haven't used it yet but a friend has and he has good results so far.

We are having the same dilemma as you with a shady garden but we are going for a polytunnel, we will have to compare notes. I think the thread is in veg gardening and the title is Ruddy Garden
Prepper
Learner Laner

Post by Prepper »

Leafy veg like kale, chard, cabbages etc normally grow OK in shade, or partial shade as yours is.

Rhubarb grows anywhere. So does sea kale if you want to go exotic!

Mushrooms like it dark too....

Assume your front garden is south facing so hang something off the wall or stick it in the ground with the flowers if you have space.

Have fun.
There are two ways to be rich: one is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little. I've tried them both and the latter is better.

http://www.foodonourdoorstep.co.uk
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Hi Emilie..
I think you have enough hours of sunshine to try most things.. :-D ..I have a raised veg bed and containers on what used to be a drive at the side of the house..it only gets the sun from 10am to 2 -3 pm and I grow Broad beans, peas, potatoes, onions, lettuce, spring onions, garlic, cabbages, beetroot, and herbs .. )t'
cluckymama
Lively Laner

Post by cluckymama »

Yes we will hace to compare notes Mrs B.. although my garden isnt big enough for a polytunnel! Thanks everyone.. i may have been worrying a bit much over this shade issue! )t' My front garden is large but paved so im going to cram as much as poss into pots aswell! :-D x
Emilie x