Allotments - Veg or Flowers?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Allotments - Veg or Flowers?

Post by Knikitta »

I am hoping to get an allotment one day. I have been on a waiting list for 4.5years and we are about to move so that is 4.5yrs wasted!

But my other half asked me an interesting question about allotments... Do you HAVE to grow veggies?

I assume you can grow anything like cut flowers etc, but can you have an allotment and use it like a garden... as in... grow grass with a flower border for example? Or is it entirely based on what your agreement would say so it is different from area to area?
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
ChrisG

Re: Allotments - Veg or Flowers?

Post by ChrisG »

Wow, 4.5 years!

Allotments were orginally provided so that people on low incomes and without gardens could supplement their foodstuffs. They were allowed goats, chickens and pigs on them too. Now of course, you cant keep pigs there but I think there are still those that allow chickens (if you are brave enough - theft can be quite a problem on some allotments).

If you are unsure, try doing both. I have seen people with nice rows of lettuces and neat rows of chrysanths. etc

Or you could try companion planting - flowers interspersed between the veg to encourage predators of nasties.

The again, it might be simpler just to read the tenancy agreement!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

A lot depends on the landlord and the tenant's agreement - most insist that at least 50% or more of the plot must be dedicated to growing fruit or veg. It is highly unlikely a plot would be allowed to become a garden with lawn and flowers alone.

Most allotmenteers do grow a mix of flowers, fruit & veg - flowers encourage bees to plots, especially if you have a lot of summer crops such as courgettes and squash where insect pollination is a must, so having a sign post to your plot for regular visitation is always a good idea. Also, some can be grown for cut flowers, as well as companion planting as already mentioned. Sunflowers seem to be very much an allotment flower which I haven't quite understood why - yes, great for bees and lots of seed for birds, but why that particular flower? Multi-headed ones can be used for cut flowers, but the giant ones???

Quite a number of people set aside an area to sit and relax (like a mini patio to put a chair/bench and table, usually near their shed) with a pond to encourage wildlife such as frogs, birds and other beneficial insects. I "inherited" a pond on my plot which I've been debating whether to keep or fill in (it badly needs re-lining and probably needs a good make-over - it's not been a priority so is still sitting there half empty) Ponds without something swimming in it to eat the mosquito larvae however are not fun ... I plant lots of different flowers round the pond and in summer it is so pretty and full of colour, and it does lift your spirits to see it when sitting down for a break after working the plot.
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

Oh, I wasn't asking what you think I should grow, I just wondered if you 'can' do that.

I will be having a very normal allotment that is full of companion planting... if I ever get one! }hairout{
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Someone inquired about having a lawn and flower garden plot, but was told no, as it might set a precedent!
I think sunflowers are grown on allottments as a 'bet mine will be bigger than yours' sort of thing! )grin2(
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso