Creosote

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Stig
Lively Laner

Creosote

Post by Stig »

My new shed was to be treated with creosote - I grew up in a street with a bowling green & the club hut always had that lovely creosotey smell about it. The whole street smelled fantastic on the days they were brushing it on.

Turns out Creosote is no longer available to the public as it is carcinogenic! There is a safe alternative called Creocote, does anyone have experience with it? Any good, and more importantly does it smell like creosote?!

Creosote is still available for professional use so presumably the risk is in applying it rather than sniffing it off sheds. I wonder what sort of professionals might have some?
ChrisG

Re: Creosote

Post by ChrisG »

Councils and people building outdoor stuff from wood I should think.

Sorry, cant answer your real question. Didnt know it had been discontinued. My mother was allergic to the smell - used to make her faint.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

My neighbour many years ago said he always used the oil when he did an oil change. We continued to do it. Its a way of recycling and that smelt nice as well.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Old engine oil and some diesel works great - farmers trick.

Stig, pm 4clady - she 'may' be able to point you.......
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Hi Stig, I believe anyone with a defra holding number can still buy it.
I haven't used the substitute so wouldnt know if its as good.
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

The creosote substitute preserves the wood but doesn't kill all the mites and critters like the real stuff.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
dogcatcher
Longlasting Laner

Post by dogcatcher »

Try your local agricultural supplier or horse feed merchant. It's still sold for professional use only, so just walk in and ask for it, that's what I do. It seems to be only sold in 20 litre cans. As Steve says, let it down 50/50 with old sump oil, it goes further and lasts longer on the wood.