Help wanted: How do I get my garden in order?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
sarahc36
Learner Laner

Help wanted: How do I get my garden in order?

Post by sarahc36 »

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, just about to sign on the dotted line for my first ever house and I'm looking for tips on doing up the garden for summer.

I don't know much about gardening, beyond looking after some house plants, so I want some tips on how to do up my garden - without spending tons.

I've found places like http://www.gardensandhomesdirect.co.uk/Sale/Garden-Accessories-Sale http://www.jacksonsnurseries.co.uk/findplant.aspx and http://www.crocus.co.uk/plantoffers/ that sell cheap plants... But how do those prices/quality compare to other plant sellers? What kind of plants should I go for? I really am clueless! )hlp>
madmum
Legendary Laner

Re: Help wanted: How do I get my garden in order?

Post by madmum »

Welcome to the forum!!!!! there are loads of" proper "gardeners on here I am just a dabbler :oops: ,but i wanted to say hi!!!!
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Depends how large your garden is and what sun and soil you have.

If you have the room and the time then growing from seed is much cheaper.

I have plenty of room but very little time so generally buy my plants from garden centres, my local fire station usually do a bedding plant sale, not sure if all stations do this.

Some things are very easy to grow buddlia (butterfly bush) and California Lilac and I find hydrangea really easy, Virginia Creeper is wonderful for autumn colour climbing up a wall.

Personally I have had very little success with plug plants bought online but that could be because I rushed planting them.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

If you can buy perennial plants you will be better off as they come up year after year. Also don't expect it to all fall into place like on the gardening programmes. It seems on those programmes they plant something and in next to no time its enormous and blooming. It will take at least a couple of years. You can always get annual plants either by buying them already and dotting them in between the perennial plants or sow seeds as its not to late.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

What is the garden like now?
If it's an established garden it may be better to spend the first season noting what is there, what flowers when. Just mow the lawn and weed (if you know which are the weeds)
Then you have to think about what you need and how you will use it. Do you need space for children to kick balls around? Do you want to grow your own veg or fruit? Or give a child a plot to grow seeds on? Keep hens?
If you look and see what grows well locally that will give you some ideas. Some plants are easy and cheap, everyone has them because they are such good value and good use of space. Shrubs like Forsythia which is covered with yellow flowers in early Spring. Climbers like Clematis Montana, which is out now, a pink mass on the wall (but I'll have to trim mine as soon as the flowers are over, to keep it out of the gutter and rescue the outside light - it is rampant).
If you know nothing about gardening ask your neighbours what their plants are (they might offer you cuttings).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Agreewith the above. Especially Mo. Buy nothing untill you know what you have.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
Prepper
Learner Laner

Post by Prepper »

Although the plants are important and I agree with all of the above comments don't forget about the soil.

There's an old saying that goes something like 'spend sixpence on the soil and a penny on the plant'.

It's worth holding back and seeing what you have and what you want. See where the sun is during various parts of the day as this could affect where you want to plant. Most plants like sun but so do people and patios!

When you have decided where you want to plant things make sure you enrich the soil with good organic material and you'll give the plants a head start.

In the short term you could always plant up some containers with plants and dot them around the garden. This will give you some colour or food and then lots of time to read up on gardening.

It's not mystical or difficult, your local library will be groaning with gardening titles. Look at the pictures, see what you like and then find out how to grow them. Books by' famous' TV gardeners such as Monty Don and Alan Titchmarsh have step by step instructions but are a bit monotonous once you've read two or three.

Gardens evolve and that's part of the fun.

Instant makeover gardens are about as real as instant house decorating shows.

If you make a mistake try again.

Enjoy your new home.
There are two ways to be rich: one is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little. I've tried them both and the latter is better.

http://www.foodonourdoorstep.co.uk
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Ask any of your mates with decent gardens if you can have any cuttings or spare seedlings - you can populate yours for free and experiment a bit, find out what you like and what grows easily in your soil.
There are loads of plants that split really easily too.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Hi and welcome to the Lane.
My daughters moved into a new property in December and like you have never had a garden or their own, before.
I am with Mo on this one and is what I told my girls to do. Keep it tidy, mow the lawn if you have one and see what comes up between now and the end of the season. Then you will be able to decide what you `like` and want to keep and what you dont.
You wont want to be doing a total re-vamp if the weather is very hot. You will want a tidy garden that you can sit in and enjoy the sunshine.
Obviously you want to put your own stamp on it and make it your own, but I personally wouldnt spend pots of money until you know what youve got and what you havnt.
As someone else said, beg cuttings from friends and family, who are usually only too pleased to help out . Its also nice to have reminders of people you care about and love by `nicking` bits from other folks gardens.
Also you will be able to see, from what is already growing , if the soil is acid or alkaline which will determine what will grow and what wont.
lorna {hug}
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.