Mint and Lemon Balm.

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Mint and Lemon Balm.

Post by Knikitta »

I have an abundance of mint and lemon balm in the garden (rental, not allowed to dig anything out or plant anything) and even though I am not allowed to do anything, I would like to pot some of it up.

As it is already way to big for pots ( easily above my knee in height) what is the best way to pot some of it?
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
Prepper
Learner Laner

Re: Mint and Lemon Balm.

Post by Prepper »

Hi Knikitta,

I'm pretty sure Lemon Balm is part of the mint family, and like mint they're real bullies in the garden taking over if not contained in pots.

Even though you say you can't dig any up I really don't think anyone would notice as they will soon fill the void.

Failing that you have two options. Firstly wait for the seeds but secondly, and more qucikly, take some stem cuttings.

Assuming you know how to do it, it's not difficult, place them in water and the roots will soon appear.

Pot on at a later date.
There are two ways to be rich: one is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little. I've tried them both and the latter is better.

http://www.foodonourdoorstep.co.uk
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Very easy to take a piece.
Pull up a stem with a bit of root attached from the edge of a clump. Then cut off the top half of the stem and leaves. Pot up the root and away you go.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Prepper wrote:and like mint they're real bullies in the garden taking over if not contained in pots.

Absolutely agree with that - my neighbour had some growing against the fence and it was always invading the part of my garden where I didn't want it }hairout{ Whenever I pulled it up or cut it back, have to say the smell was divine and made my mouth water
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

Yes, they are part of the mint family, and they are rampant. I have already asked the Landlord and been told not to pull anything out.

It is there garden, so it is there problem. I just want to pot some up for some friends, and for myself so I can keep some in a container by the back door for when I want some. :D

Thanks all, I will give it a try today... Not like I am short of it. I have seven seperate clumps of lemon balm, and I lost count of the amount of mint in the garden.
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Both will root really easily if you just snip a bit off and put it in a glass of water for a few days - once it's got a good lot of roots, pot it up & it will fill the pot nicely in no time.
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

Fabbytastic! Thank you.

This is why I <3 this forum, everyone is so helpful and nice. {hug}