slope problem (can't spell dilema)

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Mrs B

slope problem (can't spell dilema)

Post by Mrs B »

Due to the garden being a bit big and so neglected for decades we have found the only way we can keep on top of flowerbeds is to lay membrane and then add a layer of chips. Sounds easy ......

.... however the bed I am working on now is on a slope and even when we get the membrane fairly flat the chips just roll off. I thought about maybe placing some netting or mesh over the membrane and then chips on top. If this did work I think the netting would have to be quite weighty like fishing net. Maybe use tent pegs to keep everything in place?

Anyone had a problem like this and found a solution?

Not sure about the gradient on the slope but it is next to a 20ft drop other side of the very low wall so I tend to crawl along it as if I slipped I would topple over the wall. The width is 6ft and length 20ft I would guess.
LittleBrownFrog

Re: slope problem (can't spell dilema)

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

No answers, but I'm giggling at the thought of you crawling along the edge of the flower-beds. )t'
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:No answers, but I'm giggling at the thought of you crawling along the edge of the flower-beds. )t'

The best bit is people walking past can't see me so when they hear me cursing or talking to chooks it really gives them a fright.
LittleBrownFrog

{rofwl}
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Wow what a slope. Is there any way that you can build up either the front of back of the bed, depending on how it's facing to level it out a bit. The ideal way to deal with a slope like this is to terrace, but that takes a lot of time and cash and of course the inclination to do it.
Be careful!!
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks June (how is your leg)?, the 20ft is the length (I should have stated that really). I can't really raise the level at all as then it would be over the wall and I can't lower it either because as you say it would be too expensive. I am determined to crack the problem though.

We have THE most impractical nightmare garden in the world, because of all the levels we can't even get a mini digger up there.

I think I will try some sort of netting held down with tent pegs. MrB suggested using spray adhesive and he was being serious, men tsk tsk.
Emmachuck
Lively Laner

Post by Emmachuck »

Does it need to be a flower bed? Maybe you could turf it and then plant a few ornamental shrubs along the length of the turf, so you still have some colour?

Emma
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Spray adhesive.............. send him to the naughty chair.

What about sleepers vertically driven in to create a retaining wall to the hight you desire.

If the height require is not too great, then on their sides with retaining timber or metal post to hold them....

Just thinking out loud..
LittleBrownFrog

Steve the Gas wrote:If the height require is not too great, then on their sides with retaining timber or metal post to hold them....
Just thinking out loud..

This is what's been done in a couple of places in the garden at the house we're moving to - don't think they're actually sleepers, but same idea - wall high enough to make a flatt-ish bed rather than a sloping one.
LittleBrownFrog

or, maybe you could use Mr B as the retaining wall?
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:or, maybe you could use Mr B as the retaining wall?

Excellent, that is the idea LBF. Hmm actually maybe we shouldn't encourage him to lounge around doing nothing.

Building a retaining wall is not an option I'm afraid. I guess I will have to put some pics up.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Mrs B wrote:
LittleBrownFrog wrote:or, maybe you could use Mr B as the retaining wall?

Excellent, that is the idea LBF. Hmm actually maybe we shouldn't encourage him to lounge around doing nothing.

Building a retaining wall is not an option I'm afraid. I guess I will have to put some pics up.

Yes, put up some pics, then we might sound as though we know what we're talking about. :? By the way, leg fine.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.