Acer/Japanese Maple

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Acer/Japanese Maple

Post by roddelmae »

I've tried to grow these from potted young trees bought from garden centre, but I've somehow managed to kill them all off. We've tried three different varieties, but none have survived my attentions. They have been planted in large patio pots; would planting straight into the ground be better?
My clever daughter thinks that my garden may be too windy; we are up on the face of a hill with super views over the Trent plain, and it does get a bit draughty up here.
My other trees seem to be happy here (Apples and Plum) so what might the problem be?
As for variety, I really like the ones with red leaves.
Help from the knowledgeable, please?
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
Mad Chick

Re: Acer/Japanese Maple

Post by Mad Chick »

Sorry, not much help from me. I love Japanese Maples and like you have tried several times to keep them alive without success. I've also been told it is the wind so we kept the last one in a pot so we could move it around when windy but it still died {cry}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I have grown them in pots for years but in a sheltered place. They do not like wind/frost/drying out.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I have 2 acers but not sure if they are different species to Japanese Maples.

My 2 are growing well, had them in 2-3 years now south facing front garden. They have never been fleeced and the soil is not fantastic but they have thrived. I did buy mine as 5ft young trees though so maybe that is why they have been trouble free.

I have 1green variegated and 1 darkest red leafed varieties. I had a massive acer at my last house
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

We bought mum a small one 5 years ago and planted it in ericaceous compost in a half barrel and its still doing fine - its one with very lacy leaves . I really think the wind gets to them too so siting is very important .
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yep, winds will do it every time. My neighbour bought one a few weeks back ( just before the winds) and I did warn him......he moved it to a sheltered place pretty quickly!

Virtually everything does better in the garden as opposed to pots anyway, so the combo of pot and windy situation......
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Japanese maples will do well in pots as well as the soil but you must be sure not to let them dry out.
They do best in a "woodland" situation, that is light shade, shelter from the wind and not too dry or wet.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have two, aslo. They started off in pots on the Patio. But are now in the front garden.
Mostly the weather here is fairly good, being in the south. But that snow this year killed my beautiful palm tree. Also everyone elses' as well.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

I have one in a pot that I have had for years , its doing quite well.Would like to plant it in the ground but can't decide where in the garden to put it.

:-D
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
issy
Lively Laner

Post by issy »

I had a lovely red one with the fancy leaves until this winter i think the really bad weather this year killed it off. {cry} {cry} I had it for 6 years and had never covered it or did anything special to it. I put it in the ground and left it.
Enthusiastic veg grower. Trying to be more frugal. Family:Much loved husband, son, 2 dogs, 1 cat and 8 ex batts soon to arrive.
RIP Dumpling,Boss,Plum, Pudding,Hoppy,Betty,Custard and Gerty our ex battys
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

As most people have said its the wind that will kill it. Plenty of shelter.
issy
Lively Laner

Post by issy »

Oh well, i won't be replacing it. I planted onions in the space it used, they might not look as pretty but they will taste good )j;
Enthusiastic veg grower. Trying to be more frugal. Family:Much loved husband, son, 2 dogs, 1 cat and 8 ex batts soon to arrive.
RIP Dumpling,Boss,Plum, Pudding,Hoppy,Betty,Custard and Gerty our ex battys