Recomendations please!...

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
silverback
Legendary Laner

Recomendations please!...

Post by silverback »

Hi All,
the front of our house faces east, we are looking for a ground covering plant that flowers from early summer onwards, preferably evergreen. The soil is loam and PH is neutral, any suggestions or recomendations would be much appreciated.. )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Re: Recomendations please!...

Post by rhubarb93 »

How about one of the low, spreading forms of ceanothus? Or an Abelia - some have scented foliage, flowers and berries later. Or for a non-evergreen, there is a geranium, type macrophylla which also gives fragrant, spreading ground cover.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Berberis (sp)?
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

Grrr.......

Thistles and nettles do well anywhere!

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Many thanks for the suggestions guy's.. )t'

Thistles and nettles do well anywhere!

Somone told me if you have nettles growing, you got good soil! +confused+ .
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Nettles are indeed a good indication of good fertile soil rich in nitrogen )t' Sorry I can't help you much with your recommendations list - I'm more of a fruit & veg person, and my knowledge of flowers is very limited to a few spring bulbs and some summer annuals.

What about heathers - my cousin wasn't much of a gardener so she planted up different types of heathers and covered the area between plants with bark chippings. It always looked amazing and required very little maintenance other than an annual fresh load of bark chippings and the odd trim. I had a heather plant in my garden in a previous house which was north facing & only got afternoon sun and it was fine, so east facing should be okay too.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Thanks "LL"..... )t'
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

How about Euphorbia robbiae? Tough as old boots, spreads underground, low growing evergreen with green flowers early summer.
Or the toughest ornamental of all - Alchemilla mollis, self seeds and has round furry leaves and also green flowers in summer.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

It's all greek to me ........ :shock:
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

lancashire lass wrote:What about heathers - my cousin wasn't much of a gardener so she planted up different types of heathers and covered the area between plants with bark chippings. It always looked amazing and required very little maintenance other than an annual fresh load of bark chippings and the odd trim. I had a heather plant in my garden in a previous house which was north facing & only got afternoon sun and it was fine, so east facing should be okay too.

Yes, I had a heather bed in my first house and it always looked great, BUT they mostly need acid soil. If you test your soil and it alkaline, you would be wasting your money trying to grow heathers. You'd need to buy a lot of peat or ericacious compost, and keep topping it up. And they still may not thrive.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

If you want heathers but have an alkaline soil then grow the winter flowering types they are fine. All the summer flowering heathers need an acid soiljust like rhododendrons.

It's all greek to me ........ :shock:

>mmm< Sorry about the long names - but if you google them you will see. It is the most accurate way and international. If you use common names you can get confusion because some things have similar common names.
Alchemilla mollis is called Lady's mantle but the euphobia doesn't have a common name. >mmm<
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Je sais, I was taking the piscine. )t'
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Nothing new there then !

Some good suggestions above.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome