Alternative to a lawn

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Humanist
Lively Laner

Alternative to a lawn

Post by Humanist »

I have a small front garden (about 3x3 metres) and It's a pain having to drag the lawnmower round to cut the grass every couple of weeks. The front lawn is never used for anything, and it would be better if it could be replaced with something that requires a little less maintenance. I'm sure I saw a tree or shrub that grows across the ground (could have been called 'prostrate' something). Can't find any info on it now, does anyone have any experience with this plant?
1 cat, 2 chickens, 9 cardinal tetras, 5 albino catfish, 3 assassin snails, 22 axolotls, 2 daughters and a stepson. And a pear tree (but no partridge).
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Alternative to a lawn

Post by lancashire lass »

would that be Prostrate Rosemary? http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/p ... 0527.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would need a little initial work at first, but why not have a feature, maybe a rockery with alpine plants and a few slow growing shrubs with a stepping stone path meandering between them. Perhaps lay a weed suppressant membrane down and cover with bark chippings, then all you'd need to do is an annual trim of the shrubs.
manda

Post by manda »

I goggled prostrate shrubs and there are loads...I would pop to your local nursery and let them know where it is you want to plant and they would be able to advise you ...I know nothing about them...but I like the idea of a prostrate rosemary..great smell and useful too )c(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Both of these ladies are right so why not combine both ideas, there are loads of prostrate dwarf conifer so I can imagine you could get a lovely effect with green, blues and yellows )t'
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

My alternate to a lawn is chickens.

Now you see it now you don't.

Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
Humanist
Lively Laner

Post by Humanist »

Orfy wrote:My alternate to a lawn is chickens.

I'm afraid that to put chickens in my front garden would be to invite all manner of unpleasantness from the local two-legged vermin! My chickens must stay in my back garden protected by large fences!
1 cat, 2 chickens, 9 cardinal tetras, 5 albino catfish, 3 assassin snails, 22 axolotls, 2 daughters and a stepson. And a pear tree (but no partridge).
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

What about the pretty little herb, creeping thyme. I don't know it's proper name.
It grows no higher than cut grass, smell lovely when walked on and has tiny mauve flowers. If it comes against a log or such like, it will grow over itself.
I have gravel on my front with ground cover plants in it.
I planted just one plant about 4yrs ago, which is now covering an area abt. 5/3ft. It has just crept over the gravel, so should do well on soil. It is also very hardy and withstands frosts etc.
I realise that you don't want to wait so long, so you would need a few more plants. When it gets too thick, just cut with shears.
Worth looking at!
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Kernow

Post by Kernow »

As a suggestion something I've always wanted but the Memsaab doesn't like the idea. A camomile lawn. Cut it twice a year, so my book says. Lovely to walk on.