The village horticultural show - committee

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

The village horticultural show - committee

Post by Annie »

The show has been running in the village anually for the last 150 years so how come its got into the hands of one family ?
Like the innocents we are Eck and I went to the AGM about 6 years ago, expecting it to be a well attended affair but apart from the office bearers we were the only bods there, needless to say we got recruited onto the committee.
It consists of the president (the father) , the secretary (the daughter) the treasurer ( the daughters male 'friend') the chairman ( nice guy but only interested in showing dahlias) the chief protaganist (the son) the silent majority ( the sons partner) and the whipping boy (Tim nice but dim).
For 4 years we put all sorts of ideas in front of the committee to raise more interest in the show but many were knocked back -noticeably by the son , a man of few words and scowling face, who always said 'tried it , waste of time'.
The show is really kept in the same format (ok not bad but could do with a bit of changing) because of this familys dominance so after 4 years we said bye bye . Anybody else on a committe like this ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Steve the Gas

Re: The village horticultural show - committee

Post by Steve the Gas »

Nope, don't wanna be either )run(
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Oh yes! We had (till just two weeks ago) a 'we tried in 1982 and it didnt work' person on the committee that runs our charity (of which I am Chair). He then decided to accuse me of 'acting unilaterally' (when he is the one who does that and undermines our CEO); then waiting until I went on holiday, and resigned. (I got up the first morning to find he had resigned by email - no discussion, nothing!) Along with two others. A Board that should have 12 members is currently functioning with 6 and three potential recruits from outside sources, who will be decided in September.

At least the members are not all one family, but they are all members of the charity, which is often too close for sensible decisions - hence recruiting from outside.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
wendy

Post by wendy »

Oh that is a shame.
Been on far too many committee's :?
We run the local community Centre. How I wish just someone would turn up to the AGM's.
The committe consists of our Chairman, Spencer who is the Treasurer, me who is the letting's officer and that is it }hairout{ and Spencer and I who are the cleaners.
The community is more than happy to want to use it. But no one....not one person... is prepared to give a little of their time to help with the running of the place.
Heaven knows what will happen if we decide to give it up. I suppose someone will then step up. Or they will lose it.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning