What can I do about a Tree!..

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
silverback
Legendary Laner

What can I do about a Tree!..

Post by silverback »

Not sure if this is the right place for this topic, but here goe's!.
Across the road from my house we have three trees located in the gounds of a college. Not sure what species of tree they are! (not conifers etc), but they are approx 60 - 70ft high, and have been there since we moved in some 27+yrs ago.
Have noticed that two of the trees are begining to get choked up with ivy growing up them for some time now, we mentioned this to the college some time ago, but nothing has been done!. We also brought this up with the local council, and was told that this was nothing to do with them, and it was the colleges responsability.
Now here's the point, we know that some time ago the college applied to have a coach layby put in where the trees now stand on an original planning application,
the application was granted, but the coach layby was never done because of the trees! (we belive).
However, if two of the trees should die off!, this would leave enough room for the coach layby to be applied for again!!.
Is there any organisation I could seek advice from, or should we retry the local authority to see if the trees could be saved?.
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Re: What can I do about a Tree!..

Post by ChrisG »

Get a preservation order. Anyone can apply for one; you dont have to be the owner of the trees.

But if they are dying anyway, why do you want to save them? They could be or become dangerous.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

But if they are dying anyway, why do you want to save them? They could be or become dangerous.

The ivy is two thirds of the way up the trees, and the tops appear to be dying off, but the rest of the tree is healthy!. If they should die we are left with a view over a carpark and sports hall, not to mention the possible construction of a coach layby for the sports hall!!.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Night gardening and cut the ivy stems )t'
Kaeta44
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kaeta44 »

Take a look at http://www.onlineplanningoffices.co.uk/html/additional_advice/tree_preservation_orders.php which tells you all about tree preservation orders, what they achieve and how to go about getting one.

As Ruth said, anybody can apply for one to be applied, they don't have to own the tree(s).

Mind you, Steve has a point too! Even with a TPO, the ivy might still kill the trees off if its not dealt with.
Mucky Cluckers – Tales from the chicken run. "An hilarious read" "Cried with laughter" "A really good read, I couldn't put it down". Buy this paperback from www.muckycluckers.co.uk

I'm Trish Colton on FB DTL
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Hi All, Thank you for your advice!...duly noted. )t'