This year's Nasturtiums

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
fabindia
Legendary Laner

This year's Nasturtiums

Post by fabindia »

My nasturtiums have been really great this year. They have grown to about 9th but the amazing thing is no aphid infestation. I have always found nasturtiums to be magnets for aphids but this year not a one. I don't use any insecticides so it isn't that.
Michael
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: This year's Nasturtiums

Post by Annie »

mine have been like triffids some of the leaves were as big as my hand. Best thing in the garden this year
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
manda

Post by manda »

I want to grow Nasturtiums ...I think I said this in another thread ...I want to make a caper substitute and you can do this with the pods of the Nasturtiums.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

fabindia wrote:I have always found nasturtiums to be magnets for aphids but this year not a one. I don't use any insecticides so it isn't that.

This year the pest problem has been quite low and there are 2 possibilities - we had a very harsh winter so some may have died. The other is a high number of ladybirds around - I found them everywhere this year )t' Normally my broad beans get covered in blackfly but this year were totally free.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Aphid and Cabbage whites! But none of those either this year )t' .
Manda- I make capers with mine - just drop young seeds into a jar of vinegar and keep adding as you get more.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
manda

Post by manda »

How do they compare to the real thing Homemade?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Here the only thing we've had a glut of is slugs and snails.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

How do they compare to the real thing Homemade?

Quite good for flavour. Obviously the vinegar is also strong so would taste different if you are used to salted capers.

Just been out picking some more - they are quite fiddly to pick as they hide and drop just as you go to pick them! Pick them green before they go woody otherwise they are too tough.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

My nasturtiums have been disappointing this year )gr: thick short stubby stems, enormous leaves and very few flowers. First time nasturtiums have ever failed for me.
manda

Post by manda »

Homemade.... )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

The flowers are delicious in salads too - peppery like watercress. I never plant Nasturtians these days - after planting a few several years back, they just pop up like weeds all over my allotment. Great groundcover and easy to pull up if they get too big for their boots.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

rhubarb93 wrote:after planting a few several years back, they just pop up like weeds all over my allotment

yes, I had this - the pallet compost bin looked really pretty with the nasturtiums growing through the slats, but at one point the ones on the plot were becoming an infestation and worse than the weeds!
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

worse than the weeds
..... but much prettier :-D

Hey Lancashire Lass you were up early today. I am not usually online this early but watching the rugby.
Michael
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

fabindia wrote:
worse than the weeds
..... but much prettier :-D

Hey Lancashire Lass you were up early today

... my body seems to think 5 hours sleep is all I need, but by 9pm I'm so tired and ready for bed. If I push bedtime past 10pm, I'm then in the wide awake club until 2am instead )gr: Rather than toss and turn, it's easier to get up and do things )w(