Showing home grown?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Showing home grown?

Post by Knikitta »

Hmm... Always wondered how to get into 'Gardening' competitions where you grow something you think looks amazing and then show it?

I don't just mean HUGE onions and other veg, but everything. Dhalias, tulips etc... How do you go about getting involved and actually showing. Does your plant/flower/veg/fruit have to be grown a particular way using particular soils or tools or do you just grow how you think best then find somewhere to show it?

I am guessing timing is absolutely crucial as well to make sure your entry is ready at the right time... strange how my mind works!
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Showing home grown?

Post by lancashire lass »

Anyone can enter shows, but it helps to be a member of your local gardening association - they'll promote the show to the members (which tend to be any time from late July to late August, probably dependant on your location - for example, someone in Cornwall could be cropping stuff in July, but up in Yorkshire that crop hasn't even flowered if you understand. The date is fixed so you aim to grow your crops for then and yes, timing is everything. But if something doesn't work out according to plan, something else might be perfect - you only enter your produce on the day of the show so are not under too much pressure.)

Each show has their own set of rules - for example, you rarely exhibit just one onion but have to have something like 5 of equal size - you can get a copy of the rules before the day of the show. And even then, there may be a limit on size (not too big, not too small), presentation (with or without roots, or courgettes with the flower attached) and how the stalk is presented (neatly tied over etc), washed or not allowed, and whether it should be displayed on a black background or (we don't seem that fussy in my show and have plain paper plates). Most rules are basically the same according to some general show procedures, but there may be local deviations.

My local show is attended mainly by allotmenteers, but it is run by the local garden association so anyone who is a member can enter any category from veg, fruit, flowers and flower arrangements, jams, cakes etc which is sold off at the end of the show. All proceeds from raffle ticket sales, entrance fee, door fee etc go to a local nominated charity such as guide dogs, local hospice etc.
pamela
Lively Laner

Post by pamela »

i entered my village show as a novice and won put it down to the help from my chickens brilliant compost )t'
doggy daft maybe just daft
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Quite a lot of village /community horticultural shows have a novice class to encourage more entries. The only problem I found was once you had won in a novice class then you had to compete against the 'big' boys and these gardeners that grow for competition are deadly serious - that took the fun out of it for me . They grow in huge poly tunnels that are kept at a certain temperature, carrot and parsnip are grown in dustbins in sieved soil with pipes pushed into the bins into which seed are sown to ensure straight tapering roots. They go to a lot of trouble but the produce although big and beautiful to look at isnt really what the average gardener grows on their plot imo
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
pamela
Lively Laner

Post by pamela »

i entered the village show to try and keep it going there is a lack of interest now and some of the smaller shows are fading away in a nearby town they have started an allotment and it is creating new people so that is good i find locally the old gardeners are gone and with them their wealth of knowledge which is such a pity i learnt a lot from them )app(
doggy daft maybe just daft