have bought a small wilderness

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

have bought a small wilderness

Post by bmpsands »

Been for a second visit to the new house. Mainly looking for a good site for the chickens we hope to get. Now that the rose tinted specs are off I can see that I should be worrying about the garden. Current owner (60ish female like myself) has a bad back and so nothing has been done to it for years. 5 trees have run amok; there are bits of hardstanding all over the place and as you walk the grass feels "lumpy". Must I rotavate the lot and start again? I don't want a show home - just somewhere to start a veggie patch and somewhere else to sit in the sunshine and drink red wine. I know I'll need a man with a digger to dig and level the site for the garage.

Any constructive suggestions for quick-ish fixes will be welcome. We will then "bottom" the whole thing as time and energy permit.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Steve the Gas

Re: have bought a small wilderness

Post by Steve the Gas »

I would get your digger first and start with a clean sheet. Hens will sort any weeds in their bit. )t'
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

All I can suggest is in the evenings, draw a plan of the garden and work out on that where you want the chickens, veg patch etc. Are the trees fruit trees. You can't prune them back till after fruiting. Really its the wrong time of year for pruning trees but if they are overtaking needs must.
Take your time and don't try digging or rotervating all together. You could try digging and then covering with plastic or old carpet to keep the weeds down.
After you've decided where to put the chickens. Just do it. The lovely patch of grass will not stay long plus they will rid that area of bugs, snails and slugs. If your free ranging remember not to put slug pellets down round the beds.
You could always use the hard standing for the time being for your wine and tipples until you can find a nicer spot.
Just remember don't try and do it all yesterday.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

With an old garden it pays to be patient and see what good things the garden has to offer.
If you cut the grass with a hover mower and tidy obvious dead branches and weeds then use the time to plan and observe.
The trees may be overgrown but it is getting late to prune unless they are cherries or plums.
See where the sun falls (or would without shade) and use the best areas for veggies and seating.
Identify the trees and shrubs and work out which you want to keep, which move and which eradicate. And watch out for hidden treasures like bulbs, there may be autumn ones as well.

You will probably have enough work with moving and setting up your chicken run so don't launch into the garden yet. Good luck.

I see Steve has posted exactly the opposite )j; Take your pick!
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

So much good advice already. Thanks.

The trees will stay through this summer at least. I shall then think about pruning them back. One tree seems to be a laburnum- presumably I need to keep the chooks well away from it.

I'm doing lots of planning. It's all I can do for now. The unexpected treasures comment is spot on - this time when I went I can see stuff beginning to come up and it will pay me to see one iteration of the seasons, perhaps, before doing anything too radical

The digger man will come to do the garage-related stuff almost as soon as we go in. Once that's sorted I shall put up my Walk-in-Run and then probably concentrate on chickens and decorating.

I love this site. All the areas. Thanks again.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Looking forward to following your story, keep us updated and pics if you can {hug}

we love pics )grin2(
Sara

Post by Sara »

Hi

I have to agree with Homemade, I think i have changed my garden plans 6 times in the last 6 months.... Everytime i think ive got it sorted something else appears and i jig everything around again. :oops:

Sounds like a lovely project though... Make sure you let us know how you get on with it )t'

Good luck with the move too >gl<
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

It sounds really exciting, and with the summer coming along (we hope), you will be able to see what is really under all the wilderness. I live not too far from you, just outside Hornsea, and we are on clay soil, which holds the water. Anyway, all the best.