A climbing flowering plant?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

A climbing flowering plant?

Post by boosmummy »

This year we are hopefully (finally) putting a pegoda roof on our decking. at present we have an arch with a russian vine growing over it, and im not right keen on it to be honest, and im wanting two plants for either side of the pegoda to grow up and over. I was thinking about a couple of jasmines, but they would need to be winter hardy roots too - has any one got any other ideas?

I dont really want ivy our house is a housing association house and though i like ivy, they wouldnt be right keen if it got in the brickwork!

I have a couple of clematis in the front garden so i would like something different to that, as well as the jasmine i plan to put a couple of rambling and climbing rose bushes to grow up along my back fence. oh and a magnolia by the decking, i basically want my back garden to look beautiful!! :D
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!
manda

Re: A climbing flowering plant?

Post by manda »

We have Honeysuckle climbing up one of the poles of the barn and jasmine by the deck..both smell lovely and don't need much seeing to on the whole.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Thats what I was going to suggest Manda. Both are highly scented and lovely in the evening. You could plant perinnial sweet peas, which come year after year but not scented. I suppose you could grow a wisteria but that takes some time.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

And you can get evergreen honeysuckles so you'll have interest all year )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Passion flower?
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I know you said no ivy but what about Virginia Creeper? I have it growing on my pergola at the bottom of the garden and it has the most amazing autumn colours before shedding leaves.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Not my thread but it was helpful~ :-D
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Post by boosmummy »

i like the idea of an evergreen honeysuckle and a couple of jasmines - thanks everyone!! xx
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I would have said passion flower, honeysuckle, and the old fashioned cottage rambling rose. We have the latter grown from cuttings and it is covering our arch and fence. Also the rose Kiftsgate is very prolific. We planted cuttings last spring, and they are up and onto the top of our pergola. They are very fragrant, small white flowers.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

We lost our Kiftsgate when Eck had to dig up a lot of things to build the Walk-in-Run {cry} . You can get a climbing hydrangea as well thats white I believe or you could always try growing a rose with a clematis through it . Must admit I love honeysuckle on a summer evening , heavenly.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
mandaloon
Lively Laner

Post by mandaloon »

passionflower_ nice flower plus you can eat the fruit
Kiwi - BIG leaves- plus you get to eat the fruit
Grape vine- flowers are scented but you could start your own vinyard