groundworks

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

groundworks

Post by bmpsands »

In this little wilderness that I've bought, there is an area that will need to be dug out and levelled in order to make a hardstanding for the garage and provide access to the rear of the garden. This will help with wheelbarrowing and chicke-related activities.

We're not confident enough to hire a little digger and do it ourselves.

Has anyone had work like this done? Is there any way that we can estimate the approximate cost (for the spreadsheet that I'm running the project on). I was thinking that perhaps someone had got a quote per yard, per hour, whatever. Seeing the financial adviser on Wednesday to tell him how much of our savings I need to prise out of his grasp.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: groundworks

Post by Grannyof4 »

Hire a bobcat with a little man to operate it, that is what I have done in the past. To pay someone to hand dig it out will probably cost as much as a little digger and a man in view of the time it will take. Whereas the digger will have it done in a flash.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Hi - thanks for the response. Yes, it's the cost of a little man with a little digger that I'm thinking of. There's an area of about 10ft x 60ft to dig out and level. Can't imagine hand digging - and as you say it would take forever.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Does this link help you at all?
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thank you very much - it certainly does. I now have an idea of the price and just need to find someone local to me. I've saved the website and will follow it up.

I'm guessing that I could get a few jobs done in the day. Laying a trench through the garden to supply electricity to the garage, for example, would seem to be a possibility.

Thanks again.

B
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Your project sounds really exciting. Hope you find someone who will do a good job for a reasonable price.