blue cedar

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

blue cedar

Post by bmpsands »

We've tried to start a new tree from our current giant blue cedar. this was bought as a broken sapling 25 years ago and is now enormous. We are moving soon - everything we've tried in the past has failed to start a new tree and we expect to have to buy a new sapling and start again. On the other hand, there seems to be a huge amount of knowhow on this forum. Is there anything we can try within the next couple of months that might work. We know that pegging a branch down should work - but we've had a couple pegged down for months and no roots have formed.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Kaeta44
Longlasting Laner

Re: blue cedar

Post by Kaeta44 »

I suspect that the branches you had pegged down haven't put out roots because the tree would be dormant during winter.

If it was me, I'd leave things as they are until the last possible moment. Then cut the pegged branch off, dig them up taking as much of the surrounding soil as you can and put the lot into a tub. Then I'd leave the branches undisturbed in the pots until at least next year.

Can't be sure it will work, but it's all I can think of for you to do. I don't suppose you collected seeds did you? That would be another option.
Mucky Cluckers – Tales from the chicken run. "An hilarious read" "Cried with laughter" "A really good read, I couldn't put it down". Buy this paperback from www.muckycluckers.co.uk

I'm Trish Colton on FB DTL
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks for this response. I'll try the method you describe. I have some cones - and there are plenty still on the tree. We've tried using these in the past but really haven't sufficient knowledge. I have a book which recommends 6 weeks in the freezer, followed by putting into compost. It didn't work - but this may be because we did it at the wrong time. I find this forum more useful than books.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Kaeta44
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kaeta44 »

This is also the right time to take softwood cuttings - that might work.
Mucky Cluckers – Tales from the chicken run. "An hilarious read" "Cried with laughter" "A really good read, I couldn't put it down". Buy this paperback from www.muckycluckers.co.uk

I'm Trish Colton on FB DTL