When to remove fleece from Wisteria?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Kaeta44
Longlasting Laner

When to remove fleece from Wisteria?

Post by Kaeta44 »

We got a wisteria last year, it's 7 or 8 ft high and had flowers on when we got it.

It's intended to climb over a pergola, which has meant planting it in an exposed place. It's at the Northern edge of our garden with just fields beyond it. It gets the sun from very early morning until about 9 or 10 a.m. It then gets a bit of sun for an hour mid-afternoon.

At the moment it's swathed in fleece. In the past week we've had 2 heavy frosts (we're in North Yorkshire).

So can I chance taking the fleece off yet? If not, any suggestions when I can safely remove it.
Mucky Cluckers – Tales from the chicken run. "An hilarious read" "Cried with laughter" "A really good read, I couldn't put it down". Buy this paperback from www.muckycluckers.co.uk

I'm Trish Colton on FB DTL
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: When to remove fleece from Wisteria?

Post by Mo »

I never protect my wisteria, and never thought about it needing it.
Mind you it is an the South wall of the garage.
The frost doesn't seem to harm it.
In this area it's Camelias that sometimes have their flowers turned brown by frost.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Kaeta44
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kaeta44 »

Thankyou Mo. I'm just a bit worried because it's so very exposed. It has no protection at all.
Mucky Cluckers – Tales from the chicken run. "An hilarious read" "Cried with laughter" "A really good read, I couldn't put it down". Buy this paperback from www.muckycluckers.co.uk

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Ah, I googled and found a nursery that said early spring frost can make the flowers drop before they open.
I never knew that. And it's never been a problem for us, but you know your situation.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Kaeta44
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kaeta44 »

That's really helpful - thanks again Mo. Think I'll leave the fleece on for a while longer.

pamela
Lively Laner

Post by pamela »

i have 2 wisterias and never had a problem and we are in scotland do you think sdome types are hardier than other?
doggy daft maybe just daft