grass seed

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

grass seed

Post by ChrisG »

When we had that warm weather a while ago, I sowed some grass seed to mend some bare patches on the lawn. It was all raked and spiked first, the seed was scattered, and because it was so hot, I watered the patches daily. Then we got snow and it has been cold since. Today I managed to get outside for the first time since the cold snap started and not one seed has started into growth. Did I do something wrong? Will it grow eventually? Or should I just get some more seed and start again?
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: grass seed

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

How long has it been? I normally re-seed patches on the lawn in October & it takes ages to start growing, but doesn't seem bothered by the cold.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

It's about three and a half weeks, maybe four.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

I'd give it a bit longer )t'
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Okay, thanks :-D
Chris xx

ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Still absolutely no sign of a single seed sprouting {cry}
Chris xx

LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

{cry}
Freckle
Lively Laner

Post by Freckle »

A little tip for you....put the seed in the feezer for a couple of days before you plan to sow it, when you sow it the change in temp stimulates the seed to germinate )t'

This works for other seeds to (not all seeds though).

Paul.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

I looked atthe area yesterday afternoon and there are a few blades of grass daring to show their heads, even though it has been two months since I spread the seed. +confused+
Chris xx

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Ihad a patch where i spilt some rose fertillizer couple of months back it literely burnt the grass off ,spiked the erea 5 weeks ago after plenty of rain ,grass now up and can hardly tell the difference has bin cut twice.When i sow the grass seed i allways lightly cover with compost or grow bag conten ts which ever i have and water daily unless it rains.
As it was then.

As it is today slightly greener than the grass around it.
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014