Climbing plants help required.....

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Don Roberto
Legendary Laner

Climbing plants help required.....

Post by Don Roberto »

Our last garden wall was finally demolished because the previous owner planted ivy, which worked its way into all the mortar joints and pulled the wall over at a crazy angle. The wall finally had to be taken down and rebuilt. Donna M had me build her a new trellis, as she wants some sort of climbers to cover a large empty expanse of wall. She is thinking of Clematis or climbing roses to cover the trellis, which is held off the wall by about 1". My question is, will these suggested plants start to pull my wall down again ? I know as much about gardening, as the queen knows about non ferrous welding, advice please. Cheers me dears....... )wav(
Treat each new day as if it were your last, because one day you will be right.
Funky chicken
Longlasting Laner

Re: Climbing plants help required.....

Post by Funky chicken »

I've had ivy growing on a previous house, it's really invasive stuff and can do a lot of damage. I've got clematis growing around small windows of my cottage, it needs supporting and tying into place so I don't believe it attaches itself the way ivy does therefore doesn't do the same damage. There may be different types of clematis but I know the clematis I have on my cottage has been there many years nd grows away from the wall. Hope that helps a bit
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Any roses or clematis will grow up trellis but not hurt the wall.
Avoid anything described as self clinging, like ivy or virginia creeper.
Also I would avoid the spring flowering montana clematis as this gets big and straggly.
If you want a thornless rose then the variety Zephrine Droughin is the one to go for.
Will the wall be in sun or shade as there are varieties that do better in different conditions.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
Don Roberto
Legendary Laner

Post by Don Roberto »

Thanks guys for the advice, the garden wall is in full sunlight from about 11am untill about 3 pm. Cheers me dears....... )wav(
Treat each new day as if it were your last, because one day you will be right.