Any thoughts on fire pits?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Any thoughts on fire pits?

Post by MissEllie »

We were think of getting a fire pit or outside fireplace. Does anyone have one or know anything a about them? The ones in BQ don't seem to have a great write up and I'm a bit concerned about safety with the kids. :?
Any thoughts appreciated )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Any thoughts on fire pits?

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I'm interested in the answers to this as well - we've been thinking about building one.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I don't have one but when my daughter and family were packing up to leave Dubai (where you didn't need one!) they bought one over there to ship over (cheaper and better than here) to have in Guernsey and they love it. However their children are 6 and 10 so at an age when hopefully know better than to touch it.
Kaeta44
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kaeta44 »

We have a clay fire bowl - just a posh name for a fire pit. The only problem I've had with it is that Mad Irene (our Light Sussex) jumped on it to see what was going on. Fortunately the edges of the bowl only get very slightly warm, so she was fine. Luckily she didn't jump onto the grill where the meat was cooking. Quite often the bantams sit underneath it with no ill effects, as all the heat is in the bowl and the stand doesn't get hot. Not sure if that would apply to an all-metal fire pit though.

We like using it and like the fact that it's a bit different. The thing is, if you have hot things and children, you always need to keep a close eye out for potential accidents - but that's just the same in the house, isn't it.

[url]Image[/url]
Mucky Cluckers – Tales from the chicken run. "An hilarious read" "Cried with laughter" "A really good read, I couldn't put it down". Buy this paperback from www.muckycluckers.co.uk

I'm Trish Colton on FB DTL
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Morning Miss Ellie,
We were looking around and things for doors, the garden etc. and came across this site.
http://www.blackcountrymetalworks.co.uk ... arties.htm
They have some nice stuff and not all of it is too pricey and it looks to be good quality too.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Have a look in decent garden centres too. I know we have a couple of nice ones at work - one which comes with a little domed criss cross guard. We also have one that comes with a BBQ rack.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

I've got a cast iron chimnea, had it for about 8 years, very heavy and solid construction. Fatha in law bought it for me for doing him a good deed.

Some of the cheap ones I've seen look like they are made of tin, I've even seen one that had a label on 'not suitable for lighting fires in'! +confused+
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Neighbours of ours bought a cheap one £30 ish from Band M a couple of years ago, and we have had some lovely times around it, but not sure it will last another summer.....

I'd love one and was in Band m yesterday.....
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Thanks for all the replies everyone, we saw one in Q&B we liked so think we'll go for it )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Dom, thanks for the website - I've been looking for a new garden bench and the ones on that site are very reasonable for the quality - compared to others I've seen )t'
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."