It lives !!

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
vegalot
Lively Laner

It lives !!

Post by vegalot »

Around 30 years ago I had quite a passion for fuchsias, still do now, but not as bad as then :-D , I used to travel a lot to different shows, it was at one of these shows, I saw a fuchsia I really wanted, it had just won first place, half joking I asked the grower if he would let me take some cuttings and he did. :shock:

Well all but one cutting didn't take, but the one that did take lived for about 28 years, was moved several times and hundreds of miles, until 3 winters ago, we had quite a freeze and we lost all our fish, from the pond, plus a few shrubs and of course fred (the fuchsia).

I know it was just a plant, but it had been around for a big part of my life, I had fed, watered, trimmed and looked after it, I didn't have the heart to dig its dead roots out and for the last couple of years, the OH has looked at me sadly whenever I said, it will come back. For the last two summers there has just been a few dry twigs sticking out of the ground, until I was reclaiming the bed, this year, for some sweet peas and found this: :-D

Fred lives!
And once he gets a bit bigger, there will be a lot of little Freds, I'm not going to lose it again
If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
p.penn

Re: It lives !!

Post by p.penn »

That was extremely lucky! I would have thought that after 2 years of nothing it would be kaput. What do I know?!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

That's amazing to come back after all that time ..good old Fred )t'
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Isn't it heartening when things do that.
We had a climbing rose on the corner of our house. But when the extension was built it got trampled.
That year was the worst of our lives in various ways (major as well as minor). So when the rose came back it seemed to be saying - "look, life goes on"
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Has Fred got a proper name and what colour is it. I used to love fuchsias and still do. I had loads in UK but I have lost them all. Problem being we are very exposed so I've lost the lot.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Welcome back Fred :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
vegalot
Lively Laner

Post by vegalot »

p.penn wrote:That was extremely lucky! I would have thought that after 2 years of nothing it would be kaput. What do I know?!

You know as much as I did, I was sure it was dead, I even pulled the soil back from the roots, to make sure someone hadn't planted a new one in its place. :-D

Maggie1 wrote:Has Fred got a proper name and what colour is it. I used to love fuchsias and still do. I had loads in UK but I have lost them all. Problem being we are very exposed so I've lost the lot.

In my haste to get away with my cuttings, before he changed his mind, I never made a note of the name, hence Fred and its been almost 30 years )grin2( .
It was one he had cross bred himself, and I know one of the strains was Brutus, as for its colour, it comes out with very large double deep blueish purple skirt and salmon sepals, the leaves have a faint red running through them and it has grown up to 5' tall at times.
When I was in my twenties, my garden was pretty much nothing but fuchsias and lilies, I had over 150 different varieties, today I just have 6. :-D
If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
Kaeta44
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kaeta44 »

There's hope for my one fuschia yet then :-D
Mucky Cluckers – Tales from the chicken run. "An hilarious read" "Cried with laughter" "A really good read, I couldn't put it down". Buy this paperback from www.muckycluckers.co.uk

I'm Trish Colton on FB DTL
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I wonder if he crossed it with Beacon or Phyllis both being hardy as is Brutus. When it flowers do a picky for us.
vegalot
Lively Laner

Post by vegalot »

Maggie1 wrote:I wonder if he crossed it with Beacon or Phyllis both being hardy as is Brutus. When it flowers do a picky for us.

Be my pleasure Maggie, it will be late on in the season though, as I intend to remove all the early buds, just to get it growing strong again. But I will update this thread every so often with Pictures. :-D

By the way, when you had your fuchsias, did you ever try making jam from their berries?
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

No I didn't but I've heard you can. I'm not a lover of jam unless its with scones and clotted cream and OH is diabetic so its not on really.
I love the white fuchsia Annabelle and of course the pink fuchsia Margaret named after me.