Daisies

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
saint-spoon

Daisies

Post by saint-spoon »

I am not particularly precious about my lawn, I cut it and have fed it stuff once in a while but a bowling green it is not. I have several patches of clover that I allow to flower (actually I go to sea and come back to long grass and flowers) and there are quite a few dandelions. Anyway I haven’t got any daisies and would like some to add to the general flower ambience. Can you buy seeds for them?
Bah Humbug
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Daisies

Post by Annie »

I cant say that I have ever seen seeds for the common or garden daisy (not many would want them I imagine) , probably in a packet of wild flower seeds there may be something daisy like or maybe Marguerites ? OR come up and see me sometime - I have loads of daisy you could rehome )t'
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Don't know but do you have any family, friends or neighbours who have daisies in their lawns? Maybe they'd let you have a clump or two and they'd spread in no time.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Annie wrote: OR come up and see me sometime - I have loads of daisy you could rehome )t'

Ditto - I seem to have more than my fair share!
Last edited by ChrisG on 14 May 2012, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

To be quite honest I've never seen the little daisy that you get on your lawn seeds for sale. You can get some daisy seeds (posh name Bellis) for sale but I've never seen the little ones. I can only suggest dig some up when you see them and hopefully they will reseed themselves.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I found this Dave but the price is yike*

http://www.kissmygrass.co.uk/search/?se ... 16&Go.y=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would be tempted to ask neighbers or freinds if they would let you dig a few up. With a bit of luck they may self seed. )t'

Just found this and the price is better. :-D
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/garden- ... -600-seeds
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

cheers Al for that... now the free option, is it illegal to dig up daisies? are they wild flowers and will I go to prison for years if I nick a few from a local roundabout (which is covered)? buttercups as well, I want some on my lawn especially around the edges where I can't be bothered to get the strimmer out and cut.
Bah Humbug
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Not if they're in someone's garden they're not. Not sure about in the wild though.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

As many wild fowers are protected nowadays, it is safest not to dig up any of them, just in case.

If you want to dig them up from someone's lawn, they may not mind, but i would be inclined to ask permission first as they might object to the holes you necessarily have to leave behind )t'
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

How old is your lawn? We started ours from seed almost ten years ago, and last year we acquired our first daisies - there have been plenty of dandelions, clover and other 'weeds', but the daisies took longer to arrive.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Be aware though Spoony that they won't behave and just live in the lawn- especially buttercups they are a nightmare and spread like wild fire.
Oh by the way 10/10 for your new avatar
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

the avatar was done by Al for me )t'
I am not sure how old my lawn is, we have lived here ten years this year and the previous owners where probably more particular about maintaining such things than we are, the grass was quite uniform (oh how they would cringe now) but I prefer a spot of wildlife in my garden and flowers are good in my opinion.
Bah Humbug
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Ah, well, your lawn is obviously older than mine, so that's my theory out of the window.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

To be honest my house is older than Dickie (some of the bricks are now officially counted as fossils {rofwl} ) so it’s been here a while.
Bah Humbug