rhododendron

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

rhododendron

Post by bmpsands »

In the overgrown mess that is the garden of our new house i've found a rhododendron in a pot. I can recognise these plants but not necessarily spell their name. We can't usually grown them in the ground; wrong soil. this one, in a pot, looks very sickly and is "leggy". Can I revive it? The house is a money pit and any action will have to be cheap and cheerful - which is why I thought of asking on here. If I ask at the garden centre I know what type of response I'll get.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Re: rhododendron

Post by Homemade »

You could repot it in a larger pot but you will need ericaceous compost.
Or you could feed it with fish blood and bone.
Rhododendrons like light shade and to be kept well watered.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thank you for this response. I will get some ericaceious (oh goodness; spelling again) compost and do as you suggest. I think the "light shade" bit might be important. It's currently in a very windy, exposed but sunny place. Probably hasn't had any care for 2 years - which is when the garden was last tended. I'll move it, repot it in the right stuff, give it TLC and see what happens. Thanks again.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
entrus
Lively Laner

Post by entrus »

Hi bmpsands!

I used to have two acres of them and they can be a bit fussy.

Once it has recovered (the end of next spring) you can prune it.

The rule of thumb is:

If it is rough barked you can prune it back hard and it will send out shoots all over the place, but if it is smooth barked you must only prune 1/3 of of the branches in any one year, and then not too hard.

If you want to propogate it, do it like strawberries. Put another pot of compost next to the plane and weight down one of the branches into it with a large stone and forget about it. By next year the branch will have rooted and you cut the branch to the main plant and pot it on to a bigger pot.

Never put rhododendron cuttings and leaves onto your normal compost heap, they contain a grown suppressant which still works when they are composted, and remember that all parts of rhododendron are toxic to animals, and do not do us any good either.

Nick
[center][/center]Visit us at the the Living Well On A Shoestring Blog at http://tinyurl.com/a5hdujt Helping you live better on less!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks for the advice. I have now repotted in the proper compost and have made a note of the pruning advice for when the appropriate time arrives.

The rhododendron is looking better already.

B