Chicken poo in the garden

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
chickidee
Lively Laner

Chicken poo in the garden

Post by chickidee »

I'm a very new chicken keeper and am amazed by the amount of poo these girls produce. I'd like to use it in the garden as I know it makes marvelous fertiliser but I understand it can't be used fresh. I don't have room for a compost heap but would love to know if there's any other way I can use this precious stuff >mmm<
LisaB

Re: Chicken poo in the garden

Post by LisaB »

I might be a bit off, but I think if you put some in a container, about a tenth chicken poo and the rest water, leave for a week or two, and then filter out the sludge, you can use it as a fertiliser :)
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Afternoon Chickidee,
Have you got any buckets?
Half fill with chicken poo but just loosely, don't pack it down. Fill up to near the brim with water and cover it to reduce any nasty niffs. Leave it for a week or so to stew, then filter off the water and save it.
The sludge should be OK on the garden lightly forked in.
The water you have saved can be diluted, 1 part chicken poo water to 10 parts fresh water and used as a liquid feed )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
chickidee
Lively Laner

Post by chickidee »

Totally Scrambled wrote:Afternoon Chickidee,
Have you got any buckets?
Half fill with chicken poo but just loosely, don't pack it down. Fill up to near the brim with water and cover it to reduce any nasty niffs. Leave it for a week or so to stew, then filter off the water and save it.
The sludge should be OK on the garden lightly forked in.
The water you have saved can be diluted, 1 part chicken poo water to 10 parts fresh water and used as a liquid feed )t'
Dom

Brilliant thanks Dom. I'm off to find some buckets now. I'm sure there's one with a lid kicking around somewhere - can't risk the chooks drowning in stinky poo water. )t'
chickidee
Lively Laner

Post by chickidee »

LisaB wrote:I might be a bit off, but I think if you put some in a container, about a tenth chicken poo and the rest water, leave for a week or two, and then filter out the sludge, you can use it as a fertiliser :)

Thanks Lisa - looking forward to another nice smelly project! +pinn+