What did you plant that took over ?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

What did you plant that took over ?

Post by Annie »

I have had lots of plants that have become invasive in the garden , though its quite good to split them up in Autumn and share them around your friends . At the moment I have various geranium blue, pink and white that will need splitting, I got rid of persicaria - well actually the chickens did that for me, only a bit of Ladys mantle left. My favourite thugs though at the moment are Crocosmia Lucifer
though the rain has bashed it about a bit alas
and
Inula, this grows anywhere I put it so unfussy, its a bit of a tatty looking flower but really bright and cheerful and willing and today smothered in butterfly - nobody ever mentions this plant as attracting them but just look
and lastly I love Monarda , it was planted last year and must have trebled in size this year. Eck says it looks like something from tne Muppet show (Animal I think) because of its spikey hair do. Its going over a bit now and fighting with the nasturtiums hope you can make it out
What have you got that thrives perhaps a bit too much ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
perchy

Re: What did you plant that took over ?

Post by perchy »

They all look lovely, I actually havn't heard of the Inula or Monarda, are they bought as plants or seeds r bulbs?
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Plants Perchy or at least I did - Monarda is Bergamot - Earl Grey tea herb )t'
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
perchy

Post by perchy »

Annie wrote:Plants Perchy or at least I did - Monarda is Bergamot - Earl Grey tea herb )t'

Thank you )t'
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Is the crocosmia what I would call 'montbretia'? It looks the same - beautiful. We have bright orange in the garden here, and one little clump of yellow, which I plan on taking when we move. Nasturtiums were my favourite thugs, pre-chickens, but I suspect the girls have eaten all the seeds, because we had hardly any come up this year at all.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I really love valerian. It pops up all over the place.

And my exploding mole plants :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:Is the crocosmia what I would call 'montbretia'? It looks the same - beautiful.

{rofwl} LBF its taken me about 20 years to stop calling it Monbretia - don't know why it suddenly became crocosmia perhaps its a bit like petunias seem to be surfinias now >dum<
I have orange too but its a much shorter plant and not so invasive, when Lucifer stands up he is about 4'
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Post by paddy graham »

If you want a plant to take over any rough hedge or fence then it has to be a Russian Vine or better known as a Mile a Minute plant,given the right conditions it can grow upto 40ft in a season.
When Irish eyes are smiling,they are usually up to mischief.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Funny how there are different names for different plants.

I love Daturas or Angels trumpets. The power that be changed the name to Brugmansia

Paddy's Russian Vine I know as Old Mans Beard.

I still call it Montbretia Annie. Thats the one with small orange blooms that you see along the hedgerows. Crocosmia more red is the cultivated one but still the same family.

Valerian a herb for insomnia I call Padstow Pride, another one found in the hedgerows.

Its interesting to know what other people call flowers
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yes this one !.
It was planted by the previous house owners 20+ years ago it is like a weed. I can't get rid of it. A little would be nice, but this is crazy !!!
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Wendy your plant looks like wild columbine Aquilegia canadensis 'Corbett'

Its funny how things look lovely wild and when in the garden they take over. I remember when I first started to go to Cornwall over 30 years ago I saw this lovely white flower I thought was a white bluebell. I thought I'll have some of that for my garden. Cor am I glad I left that behind in Kent. It just took over. I dug up bulbs but the tiniest little pip and it grows. I finally got so fed up with my sister and I put all the worst effected area through a sieve. We got rid of a lot of it but the following year it came back just as bad. The Cornish locals call it 3 cornered leek, but this is what its like. As I say beautiful for hedgerows but not for the garden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_triquetrum
wendy

Post by wendy »

I would say it was very similar, the leaves are the same. But the flowers are slightly different.
When they say it seeds well. They are not kidding. !

Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

No definitely not Aquilegia Wendy, I think its a Dicentra.

http://www.paghat.com/dicentrascandens.html
wendy

Post by wendy »

Flowers aren't like bleeding heart.
I have one of those, again leaves similar.