fast growing chicken friendly climbers

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

fast growing chicken friendly climbers

Post by boosmummy »

Because of the flooding on the plot im having to move the run, but the problem is the place where the run is now is the only place in shade, the rest of the plot is in full sun, so i need to provide some shade for chooks. I was thinking about a climber that can climb up two sides of the run and over the top eventually, but i want a fast climber like a creeper, but that is chicken friendly and preferably that i can get something off like a dog rose or blackcurrant? any ideas x or i somehow create some shade for them x
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!
julieann
Legendary Laner

Re: fast growing chicken friendly climbers

Post by julieann »

Boosmummy Ive wondered about this to. I have the omlett Walk-in-Run and think it might blend into the garden more if I could have something growing up the side. Look forward to any replies.....
Julie x
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I planted some nasturtium on the outside of the run in the spring but guess what they ate em when I let them out! I have got a big buddlea in the run which they dont bother about and it provides shade.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
mandaloon
Lively Laner

Post by mandaloon »

kiwi has big leaves in the summer, passion fruit grows quick. grape vine takes a while to get started . Personally I love nasturtium you can eat the leaves, flowers and seeds... but like julie, my ladies love them more.....especially if they are covered in blackfly :b(
last year I grew pumpkin in my compost barrel. which is next to the run and it will happily climb if it has something to cling to. You may end up with pumpkins on the roof of the run but the ladies wont mind I think it makes good use of otherwise wasted space
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

My chickens love rose leaves, but I have managed to get a climber going by putting mesh around it until it took off. I do let them now eat the lower leaves and it is not detrimental to the top growth. Albertine is a beautiful very highly scented rambler rose and grows very quickly. It will in no time cover a trellis. It only flowers once but when in flower is absolutely covered in pale peach coloured roses.
Or why not plant a grape and let it climb over the top. It will take a couple of years to get thick but in the meantime you can fix shade netting overhead for shade. We have a black edible grape, now 5yrs old and it is so rampant that I am forever cutting off upward shooting stems. I have just picked the first of our grapes which although small are delicious. This again will need protecting until tall and a bonus is that the chickens go mad for the grapes and love it when I throw down a pile of stems.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

I'd go roses too. Same story, mesh to start then let them eat what they can reach.

Narrow upright shrubs would work as an alternative maybe. I use evergreen natidas mainly for my hens. The green ones grow fastest and the golden ones enjoy close pruning best (topiary shrubs that beat box on every level )w(

I stuck a few natidas in and the hen go among them in all weathers to snooze, hunt and avoid bickering.
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)