Herbs....

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Sejjie70
Legendary Laner

Herbs....

Post by Sejjie70 »

Beyond growing a few on the kitchen windowsill & having some mint outside I don't really grow much in the way of herbs. Am trying to get my new veg garden planned, cleared & sorted ready to start again next year (last 1 bit the dust when I ended up spending more time at the in-laws looking after them than I did at home). I have a load of concrete blocks which have rectangular holes/slots going all the way through & thought I'd use them to mark out part of the border of the garden (trying to re-use as much old stuff as possible). They don't look that pretty tbh but I thought if I sowed a few different herbs in them (or any plant that'd be good for bees & other garden-friendly insects) it would make them look a tad better iyswim.

Can anyone recommend any good, hardy herbs/plants I could have in these blocks? They're around 6-8 inches high, about 1 foot long & about 4-5 inches wide & all have 2 "slots" that are about 4 inches long & 2 inches wide, but even though that may not be enough space for roots these slots go all the way through so plants will still be able to get their roots into the ground below iyswim.

Many thanks in advance...
Sarah.
Mum to 1 hubby, 4 children, 3 Springer Spaniels (Max, Millie & Buttons), 2 cats (Sox & Frankie), 2 rabbits (Crunchie & Munchie), 12 chickens (Target, Speckle, Barbara, Margot, EggieII, Gomez, Sparkle, Glitter, Wednesday & Isabel), 3 geese (Lister, Smeg & Camille) & 4 ducks (Soup, Anya, Marble & Vindaloo).
perchy

Re: Herbs....

Post by perchy »

I grew my herbs in an old water tank, thyme, oregano, basil, coriander, sage, chives and rosemary, they did well and I put strawberries with them, so lots of flowers from the herbs and strawberries to attract bees etc, I think the same principal would work well for the blocks you have )t'

Sejjie70
Legendary Laner

Post by Sejjie70 »

Never thought of popping strawberries in them - maybe some of those tumbling strawberries in some & herbs in the others :-D . Thanks Perchy )t'
Sarah.
Mum to 1 hubby, 4 children, 3 Springer Spaniels (Max, Millie & Buttons), 2 cats (Sox & Frankie), 2 rabbits (Crunchie & Munchie), 12 chickens (Target, Speckle, Barbara, Margot, EggieII, Gomez, Sparkle, Glitter, Wednesday & Isabel), 3 geese (Lister, Smeg & Camille) & 4 ducks (Soup, Anya, Marble & Vindaloo).
perchy

Post by perchy »

Yes they do look nice together, and maybe some salad leaves, just a few, ready made lunch )t'
manda

Post by manda »

Different Thymes would do well in slots like that as well and trail over the side of the blocks to soften them a bit.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Sejjie70
Legendary Laner

Post by Sejjie70 »

Have a couple of old baby baths for salad leaves & also an old galvanised trough with a battered, holey bottom should be making it's way here too (is currently in a hedge overgrown with brambles - have been told we can have it as long as we collect it ourselves). Not sure what to grow in the trough but had been toying with the idea of blueberries or maybe even carrots (soil here isn't ideal for either of them as it's kind of clay-ey & chalky).

Like the idea of thymes trailing out of them. I love the smell of thyme too & use it a fair bit in cooking.
Sarah.