Help with planting bulbs in containers

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
perchy

Help with planting bulbs in containers

Post by perchy »

I have decided that I am not going to put any more bulbs in the garden, the garden is divided chickens versus us and I have to say the chickens are winning, so since messing about with a little patio area I have decided to concentrate on this, I did make a little raised bed and have put a few winter pansies in, the depth is probably about 6 inches of good soil and then it goes into the ground, will this be enough to grow some dwarf daffs, iris and tulips? I also want to make a few pots up as I will be able to manage those on the little area, I have some nice pots and some terracotta ones so no need to buy any, what is the best soil? and any tips for keeping them nice? i.e. watering, feeding etc?

Thank you {hug}
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Help with planting bulbs in containers

Post by Annie »

To be honest Perchy I got a bit fed up with bulbs actually in the garden as it takes so long for the foliage to die down and I was forever lifting the bulbs by mistake when trying to plant summer colour so my Spring colour is in containers.
I should think if you are talking dwarf then the raised piece of garden where the pansies are will be fine, the bulbs will be quite small so you should be able to plant to the depth they will require.
For containers you can get bulb compost so that should be the best. I usually chuck a bit of grit around the planting hole otherwise nothing special. Dont overcrowd the pots , the bulbs should be put in place but still not be touching another one . Its great when they are gone over in the early Summer as I either top up the pots with more compost and put small bedding plants on the top (nothing that gets huge roots as th bulbs might get disturbed when lifting the bedding in Autumn) or else the pots go into hiding under the conifers until Autumn when they get brought out topped up with a bit more compost and away they go. I do find that every couple of years I have to sort them out as the bulbs grow and become overcrowded. Good luck with your Spring colour x
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
perchy

Post by perchy »

Thank you Annie, the helpers have dug up quite a few and so this is my plan for the spring, I have gone for pinks, mauves and lilacs >fi< with the yellow and cream daffs, so lets hope it all goes well, I will invest in some good compost and have lots of crocks and grit, I am going to jeyes fluid wash all the containers as they have been stood for some time, been a bit neglectful really, will keep you posted )t'

It will be here before we know it yike*
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Rule of the thumb Perchy is plant bulbs twice the size of the bulb in depth. So your baby daffs usually are about an inch big so plant them 3 inches deep. All my tubs have just got potting compost in and I had a lovely show last year as in the ground.
The only problem I had was crows. I had to put wire netting over the top of the tubs as I planted over 100 crocus and they dug up the lot.
Like Annie said if they are in containers you can use bulb compost but I find that very expensive and I just use ordinary compost.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Thank you Maggie )t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Maggie {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
I do too (just thought I ought to tell Perchy that special compost was available)
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
perchy

Post by perchy »

Annie wrote:Maggie {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
I do too (just thought I ought to tell Perchy that special compost was available)

)gr:
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I've successfully grown spring bulbs in hanging baskets - the hyacinths looked very pretty and smelled wonderful, and even the daffodils looked lovely in a basket.