Pruning Jasmine

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Pruning Jasmine

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

(first garden question of many I expect).

I have a lovely Jasmine growing over a trellis and arch-way. It is still flowering, and smells divine :-D It will need a bit of a hair-cut at some stage though. Please could someone give me a run-down of the how/when/what of cutting it back without killing it off?
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Pruning Jasmine

Post by lancashire lass »

I usually wait until late winter/early spring - a harsh winter can do a lot of damage and sometimes leaving the trim until later may give the plant protection from the worst of it. Trimming it in early spring then removes any dead wood.

As for how - to be honest, I don't know if there is a correct way or not and it can be a bit of a hack job in my garden. Cutting it right back seems to help promote new growth. I have mine tied to trellis so I do a little weave and cut the lengths that are protruding back to the trellis. Have to say I trim mine every other year or so.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Pruning Jasmine

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Thank you :-D
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.