Greenhouse cleaning.

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Greenhouse cleaning.

Post by Knikitta »

One of the panes of glass on my greenhouse roof has slipped slightly so I have a 1cm gap between panes. I have also noticed quite a bit of moss around the edges of the panes.

I am happy to clean the greenhouse glass where they are are, but how do I get the glass back? There are little clips (I think) holding the panes in and I don't want to damage anything but the little gap causes rain to come in and make a little trench in the soil below right were my winter lettuce and Spring onions have been sown.

Any and all advise welcome.
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Greenhouse cleaning.

Post by lancashire lass »

is the clip a sort of "W" shape? If you squeeze the 2 ends it should loosen the clip.

Depending on where the gap is, you'll have to remove the panes of glass from the top and work your way down to the one that has slipped, and reset. With the moss, I imagine there may be some dirt lodged in the frame for it to anchor on, so take care when trying to remove the glass as it may feel a bit jammed in (aged glass may be brittle and crack when forced - you might need something like a blunt knife to gently scrape any muck and moss off first and to tease the glass from the frame) Wear leather gloves and a thick jacket just in case the glass breaks (I have to confess glass greenhouses scare me ....)

If glass does break, they are usually easily replaceable - a local diy store may stock ready cut glass for greenhouses or go to a glass stockist (I don't know if these exist anymore but I can remember going to a local hardware store where they would cut whatever size or shape glass they stocked. Sadly I haven't seen one in ages)
mandaloon
Lively Laner

Post by mandaloon »

Good advice, I confess that I probably would have gone for the sheet of plastic and a roll of "duck tape"... glass greenhouses scare me too!
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

The greenhouse was already here when we moved in (rented), if it was my choice I would of chosen plastic as well... but it's not technically 'our' greenhouse.
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.