Bamboo is dying.

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Tanith
Learner Laner

Bamboo is dying.

Post by Tanith »

Hello, hope someone can help...
I planted some bamboo a little while back and it was growing really well. Then suddenly all the leaves were drying up and now there are non left! It is meant to be in leaf all year according to the person I got it from. So yes, the hens had a little nibble at the lower down leaves but they have been confined to the run since it has started happening so I don't think they have caused the problem. I got the bamboo mainly because it's meant to like nitrogen-rich soil and would provide a good wind and rain break for one of the walls of the chicken run, plus being useful round the garden once established. Do you think it just needs time to recover or something? Not all of it is dying, I have one bunch which is doing great. I haven't noticed anything unusual with the leaves apart from drying up.
What am I doing wrong?!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Bamboo is dying.

Post by lancashire lass »

I'm not a bamboo expert but I wonder if the cold weather has just knocked it back? Also, if the ground has been frozen then the roots might not be able to take up water and so is losing some of the leaves to survive. Perhaps just leave it for now and check if there is new growth when the warmer weather sets in late spring/early summer.
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

My bamboo's are not looking to well either. It has been bitterly cold for quite a while though and really we didn't have that much rain either. Bamboo's like it moist. Had to water my potted bamboo's a few times lately as the leaves were all rolled up.
They are quite tough plants and I hope yours will recover! )t'
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Mine is looking very sad as well. The hens have a good peck at mine lower down which I don't mind as I am always digging up some of the root as it spreads so much. I'm sure it will pick up when the weather does. If it is new, it might be an idea to give some protection to the root area, until it gets more established.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Tanith
Learner Laner

Post by Tanith »

Sorry that I've been a while responding, I've been very busy! Thank you for the helpful advice, it's getting warmer now so I'll water the bamboo tomorrow and see how it goes. I'm not sure there is much else I can do, but I'll cover up the root area if it gets cold again.

Thanks again!