Hardy-ness ratings for plants

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Hardy-ness ratings for plants

Post by Freeranger »

Can anyone please point me towards an explanation of the hardiness ratings for plants? I live high up (320m) in the Scottish hills and need to stock my garden with the hardiest I can find because the weather has been known to reach -21, and the soil is quite heavy. Although high, we sit in a glen with a burn running through the garden, so it's also a frost pocket with high rainfall. Some things have done OK here, but others have really suffered over the last couple of winters, and in the harsh easterly winds in the early part of the year. I can put some things near stone walls for protection and heat-sinking, but will be relying on creating microclimates and having very hardy things to create shelter. What hardiness rating do I need, I wonder? I suspect the old H4 won't do, but I really don't understand what the ratings mean. Can anyone help me? Thanks for reading.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Hardy-ness ratings for plants

Post by Annie »

Haven't a clue about these ratings >dum<
Are you talking decorative plants as opposed to fruit/veg type ?
When I moved up here form the Midlands I wasn't sure what would grow in the soggy climate round here so I nosed in other peoples gardens in the area and took note of what seemed to be thriving and just went with that for starters.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Hardy-ness ratings for plants

Post by Freeranger »

Unfortunately, Annie, being remote and rural we don't have many neighbours, and the ones who do garden are just low enough to not suffer the frosts not get as much rain and snow as us (I'm sure they have other challenges but not these). I can propagate from what's here, but that would be dull.