Courgette problems

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Courgette problems

Post by redd_angel55 »

For years I've only ever had 2 Courgette plants and that was plenty to keep us going through the summer and sometimes we had so many, that I gave some away.
For the second year running, they are not doing well at all! Plants develop normally, then flower, but as soon as the fruits develop, the ends are going brown and that's the end of it!
Last year I put it down to all the rain and it wasn't very warm last year either, but this year's weather was just perfect for Courgettes! I've got no idea what variety they are as I left it too late and bought 2 pots from the garden centre.
I always thought Courgettes were foul proof >coc<
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Courgette problems

Post by lancashire lass »

sounds like the flowers are possibly not getting pollinated for some reason - as the seed are not fertile, the fruit gives up and collapses. Have you seen any bees or any other pollinating insects like hoverflies around? You could try hand pollinating (take off a male flower and dab the female flower - or use a small paintbrush or make up brush and gently transfer pollen)

Courgettes and other squashes like very fertile soil - maybe the soil needs some rejuvenating? Bit late now, but maybe for next year. You could try watering in some Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) which could help with fruit set if that has been the problem.

Again, too late now but next year you could try growing a parthenocarpic type - these do not need pollinating insects to produce fruit, and tend to be early croppers and go on throughout the summer too (can be grown in a greenhouse though I would only suggest that for someone who has trouble growing them outdoors due to a cool wet summer) I have grown Cavilli F1 (seed sold from Thompson & Morgan - hmm, don't remember it being that expensive, maybe I got them from somewhere else [EDIT: found them in Tuckers Seeds] The other variety is Partenon F1 or Parthenon F1 (I think it's the same - Dobies and Thompson & Morgan ... they've always been expensive for what you get, but you are guaranteed courgettes )t'
davina112
Legendary Laner

Re: Courgette problems

Post by davina112 »

My courgettes have been poor this year, from 4 plants I expected to be feeding the whole street. I haven't had more than 18 courgettes in total. I think I am going to throw the plants on the compost heap this weekend. My friend who always does exceptionally well has had the same problem this year. Our plants were from different seeds >shrug<
[center][/center]Davina