TomAto, tOmato?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

TomAto, tOmato?

Post by Knikitta »

Hello everyone, I am in need of some advice (as always).

I currently have five different varieties of tomatoes growing and they are very strong and healthy but they are in need of being repotted now.

As we are looking to move this year (hopefully soon) I can't put them direct into my allotment or the greenhouse but I can put them in large pots... but my problem is this:

I am not sure which ones are more suited to outdoors and which need the protection of the greenhouse!

Sungold F1 hybrid
Monkeymaker
Gardeners Delight
Brutus F1 hybrid
San Marzona

Thank you all.

I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: TomAto, tOmato?

Post by billnorfolk »

Knikitta wrote:Hello everyone, I am in need of some advice (as always).

I currently have five different varieties of tomatoes growing and they are very strong and healthy but they are in need of being repotted now.

As we are looking to move this year (hopefully soon) I can't put them direct into my allotment or the greenhouse but I can put them in large pots... but my problem is this:

I am not sure which ones are more suited to outdoors and which need the protection of the greenhouse!

Sungold F1 hybrid
Monkeymaker
Gardeners Delight
Brutus F1 hybrid
San Marzona

Thank you all.

Hi Knikitta

Until the end of may they will all need protection , even in the greenhouse frost can and will kill them .Mine are about 2 inch at the moment ,I will repot at the end of the month ,by 3rd or 4th week April they will be ready for final potting and move into greenhouse where heat will be provided if nights are forecast cold and until last frost is gone.What I am saying is regardless of variety's they will all need the protection of the greenhouse till frosts over with heat when cold. Any type will grow outside given a long enough season ie no late springs or early Autums )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Knikitta wrote:Monkeymaker

LOL - don't you mean Moneymaker?

As Bill says, they all need protection until the frosts have passed (mid-late May)

Have to confess I hadn't heard of Brutus F1 so looked it up - it's a beefsteak .... I'd be tempted to grow some of those in a greenhouse to be on the safe side, but generally, nearly all of them will be fine outside later in the year (and fingers crossed for a good summer)
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

Hahahaha - Yes, I did mean money not monkey! {rofwl}

I shall greenhouse them all at the end of May then, thank you both.
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.