Holly blight

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Holly blight

Post by Scrambled »

We bought two holly bushes a few months ago and planted them out in the garden - no problems at first, but then the leaves started to blacken. I spoke to the nursery we bought them from and was advised that they were suffering from holly blight - was told how to treat them etc and have been doing so.

One of them seems ok-ish - however, the other is now nothing more than a bunch of black twigs and has almost no leaves left on it. No exaggeration - it literally looks like it was in a forest fire.

The woman at the nursery told me that the leaves will grow back again next year - but hubby is of the opinion that it's not likely. I don't know - but I don't see how it can photosynthesise without leaves, so I don't understand how it can survive.

I can't find anything online about whether it has a chance of making any kind of miraculous comeback.

Any thoughts, anyone? )hlp>
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Holly blight

Post by Mo »

How soon after buying them did they start showing signs, do you think she is telling you they'll be OK to try to avoid responsibility.
If they were not in long enough for the roots to establish I wouldn't hold my breath, but maybe I'd give it a chance - or might it spread to other plants?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

They started showing symptoms a couple of months after being planted (we planted them straight away). At first they both looked really healthy - lots of new growth on them.

The woman reckons that the blight is species specific, so shouldn't affect anything else nearby....

I just can't find anything about the likelihood of a recovery >shrug<

Will just have to leave it in I think and see if it makes a comeback next year.
aron123
Learner Laner

Post by aron123 »

Thanks for share...