Strange geranium behaviour

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Strange geranium behaviour

Post by Freeranger »

I decided to deal with a very leggy geranium by taking cuttings at the beginning of summer. They've all been growing new leaves but:
4 out of six in gritty soil haven't rooted yet though two are well away (mixed sand and GP compost, c 50/50 and used rooting powder)
1/4 that I stuck in a jam jar of water to test a friend's theory is rooting madly, but the others are growing leaves under water. They're from side nodes, not the bottom.
I stuck a flower head into the grit mix so as not to waste its beautiful colour, and rather than dying, it has rooted too.

Is it usual to have such variable results? Will the jam jar cuttings grow roots instead of leaves? If anything hasn't rooted yet should I give it more time, do you think? Any thoughts would be welcomed.
Also, can I propagate anything else from a flower? I didn't know you could do that - it's a nice surprise!
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Strange geranium behaviour

Post by Freeranger »

Update - the watery ones are all now showing signs of roots as well.
p.penn

Re: Strange geranium behaviour

Post by p.penn »

I'm afraid I have no idea, although would think that rooting wouldn't be an exact science. :?

I have always wanted to take geranium cuttings, so think I will follow your water method!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com