spring flowers anyone?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
kitla
Legendary Laner

spring flowers anyone?

Post by kitla »

anemones, violets, aconites, ceanothis, all popping out early. I hope this doesnt
mean they wont flower again in the proper spring! I wonder if I should feed them
with some compost? or will that just encourage them.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: spring flowers anyone?

Post by lancashire lass »

kitla wrote:I hope this doesnt mean they wont flower again in the proper spring!

it's possible they might not, but then again, if winter finally arrives, it might trigger a second bloom. Still, it must be a pretty sight at the moment {hug}

kitla wrote:I wonder if I should feed them with some compost?

everything tells me no - perhaps wait until late winter/early spring as you don't want to encourage leafy growth at this time of year
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Despite falling temperatures recently to what should be normal for winter, I've noticed there are signs of early spring everywhere - the crocuses are flowering, early flowering cherry blossom and hedgerow are out (can't be sure what as I'm driving by but might be blackthorn?), plus catkins and some trees budding up already, and the other day I saw 2 blackbirds squabbling over territory.

I'm sure it might have had something to do with the chill we had recently, followed by more mild weather so nature has got a little confused. The outlook is for more mild and changeable wet weather for the next month according to metoffice.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

We've got daffodils in bloom here as well as snowdrops and crocus all out together.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Not a lot here in the North East. I did spot a few snowdrops out today, but no dafs yet.

I cut my (mainly) hawthorn hedge at the weekend. The idea is to cut it in the depths of mid-winter when there is no sap flowing but this year has been so mild and so although we have not had a week or some of continuous hard frosts, I just can't leave the hedge trimming any longer.
Michael